How many goldfish for a 37g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
That's a common thought since goldfish are typically vegetarian/omnivores, and being grazers, it's thought to be be better to feed them small amounts throughout the day as opposed to one large feeding. If you've got a system that works for you....

As to the original poster, I have 4 goldfish in my 29 gallon tank with just an AC 50 on it. I've come around to doing 2 gallon water changes 4-5 times a week, each cleaning takes about 5 minutes, so I'm turning over a lot of water. I've had them for 4 years now and they're still only about 1.25 inches long, not counting the tail. Don't know why my goldies don't grow any bigger... My last 5 I had in a 37g and they maybe topped out a little under 2 inches. And I had them for a decade.

I've never had a goldfish choke on gravel, so I might be lucky, but sand seems to get way dirtier (I've never tried it personally) and bare tanks are ugly. IMHO.

Pretty sure most fish are grazers and opportunistic feeders...it's there, they will eat it.

!0 gallons of water, from a 29, over a week, is not turning over a lot of water.

Stating you have "goldies" doesn't really quantify what you have exactly. "Goldies" is as generic as saying I keep "cichlids".

As for the sand statement, *chuckles*.....

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Pretty sure most fish are grazers and opportunistic feeders...it's there, they will eat it.
Don't most carnivores, in general, eat less often than herbivores? I don't know how much a large oscar eats, for instance, but don't they only get fed once a week or so?

10 gallons of water, from a 29, over a week, is not turning over a lot of water.
Really? A third of a tank a week on an established tank is not "frequent"? Seems like more than what I've heard usually recommended...

Stating you have "goldies" doesn't really quantify what you have exactly. "Goldies" is as generic as saying I keep "cichlids".
Point taken. But the care of goldfish is pretty standard. I don't have any bubble eyes or veiltails, but the care of moors, ryukins, lionheads, and fantails is pretty much the same.

As for the sand statement, *chuckles*.....
Why the chuckle?

There are a lot of places where room temperature *is* 78-82.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/stunted-growth-means-stunted-lives/
Thanks for that. It was illuminating.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
There is a difference in being "fed" and what the fish does by nature. You can fed an Oscar once or so a week, but if you drop in 30 feeders, mine have always chomped until they can't get anything else in. A fish in the wild doesn't know when their next meal is....they are going to eat if fed in a tank. So many fish recognize the hand that feeds them, 30 minutes after you have done so, you approach the tank and they act starved.

You are mixing two issues, frequent and quantity. You stated you do 2 gal water changes, 4-5 times a week. The total volume of that is about 10 gallons. I commented you are not turning over a lot of water....do some math on your multiple low volume WCs and you will see contaminates rise.

I chuckled because you made the defining statement that sands gets dirtier, but clarify the statement of fact with "(I've never tried it personally)".

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
val,i guess that i am not sure why you would not get a larger tank and appropriate equipment to go along with it.i also encourage you to do some more research into your beloved fish.most importantly,expand yourself into the world of advanced water maintenance. try to think of yourself as a water keeper instead of a fish keeper. i am not willing to go head to head in a contest of morality,that is a waste of time.all we can do is make suggestions and help to educate each other.that is why we have forums in the first place.we must also understand that we cannot necessarily change anyones minds about how they care for fish or any other animal. it is best to try to stay positive and constructive. authmal,thank you for the helpful link. rbishop,some great points there.

calichai

AC Members
Feb 16, 2012
I'm also curious on what op decided...

Me
42 gallon
3 fancy 3-4" started @1.5"
3 eel tail banjo catfish
Betta

@78'

2 years no problems so far

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389215441.798201.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389215564.215583.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389215579.798633.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389215441.798201.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389215564.215583.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389215579.798633.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store