How much money...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
This is a great topic, made me think about what I've done and the plants I've lost as they've become learning tools, hehe.

I think in a decade of playing with aquariums, I could easily say I've lost maybe $100-200, but that figure is only really that high, because before I knew better. I was buying plants, that were not appropriate from sources that should not have been selling them in the first place. Buying from fellow hobbyists and being lucky enough to find local sources to collect from has really saved me money. And with a little bit of time, I've been able to propagate most plants, so a few sprigs go a long way too.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I probably lost 100-200 dollars in plants just from cyanobacteria outbreaks because I did not understand the importance of nitrates for plants in new tanks.

Then I lost maybe 50 dollars in plants because I didn't have enough light.

colleen0309

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Freedom, NY
I jumped into live plants before I was ready. Lost almost all of them. I was also buying from ebay sellers that I didn't know. My mistake! Now I buy from people I trust and I do my research and I haven't had any losses.

Brontegirl

Registered Member
Apr 10, 2011
Maybe $25? This was since my Bolivian Rams started uprooting and eating plants. Grr. I can see at least two species that they leave alone but it is a learning process with my troublesome, yet beautiful fish. I have never seen this breed of fish do this to plants but apparently, mine think they are herbavoires.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store