How often can I clean tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
what kind of "algae eater" was it? If it was a common pleco, this is why your tank is/was so dirty. They eat a lot but don't digest it to well. Also, they get to be about 2 feet in length,wich is too big for all standard tank sizes.

TankManATL, expirence is measured in years, not months, so I would'nt be assuming that violet gobies (wich are brackish fish) can live an anywhere near normal lifespans if kept in freshwater tanks after only having one for a few months if I were you. Also, I have yet to find a fish that does not live atleast 4 years when kept in proper conditions, having a fish kept improperly for a measurement in months is nothing to be bragging about.

EmaLee

AC Members
May 25, 2006
dorkfish said:
what kind of "algae eater" was it? If it was a common pleco, this is why your tank is/was so dirty. They eat a lot but don't digest it to well. Also, they get to be about 2 feet in length,wich is too big for all standard tank sizes.
Yes it was, and he was pretty small. They said it would grow to the size of your tank. As for the goby, they said only i needed aquarium salt. Which I have been adding to water (when changed and when it was setup). I didn't realize it was supposed to be marine salt (they specifically said aquarium salt and got the stuff for me). If I had known I wouldn't have gotten the fish to begin with. *sigh* I wanna do the best I can for all three fish. I am heading to a place that does saltwater aquariums (and used to do freshwater) and seeing if i can find out anything helpful. I plan to get water testing kit also.

Jen

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Jen,'Roan is a knowledgable source of information. she usually post useful information and suggestions..I would heed her advice.

also keep in mind that many bulk stores(notice I didn't say LFS) like walmart have employees that will try to be helpful but may not be well informed.

If you do have LFS, many will carry both saltwater and freshwater supplies.

in terms of brackish water fish..
tho they can survive in freshwater(keep in mind short stays) they will live more comfortably in their environment.

a slow deterioration process will take place in brackish and estuarial fish..if they live in a condition outside their prime ecosystem. a certain amount of salt/minerals are needed n their water to allow them to maintain homeostasis of their cells.

Gunnie

Newbie forever
Jun 8, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
www.egunsellers.com
Just to help you out here a little bit, please try and get an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test kit. It's reliable, inexpensive to use, and has all the tests you will need to cycle your tank. It also has the 2 part ammonia test which will be very helpful to you right now. You'll know why in a minute.

While you are going through this crisis, get some amquel plus to use as your water conditioner to help neutralize the ammonia and nitrites which will reduce the stress on your fish. The 2 part ammonia test is necessary when using this product or ammo lock because the 1 part ammonia test will give you a false positive.

You an also try and get some bio spira if you know of a reputable dealer that sells it. If it is not handled properly, you will pay for an expensive package of dead bacteria. I don't usually recommend this as an option to someone who is new to the hobby, but in your situation, it might help save your fish. If you are able to locate some bio spira locally and want to try it, please post here again before putting it in your tank. You will need to quit using the amquel plus and drain the tank almost completely before adding the bio spira to the tank. When you get your test kit(s), please post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. This will help us a lot determine where you are in your cycle. ;)

TankManATL

Pimp And Player.....You Can Be 1 2
Apr 11, 2006
Spring Hood,Fl
personaly i wouldent care if they had died after 4 years...people die before that...sure your grow close to your fish and all..but inlike people they are replaceable...so if your goby dies...get a new one or move onto another fish..sure when i said months its been three..someone who looks up my first post and says i havent had them for along time is a f%$^%#$ nerd and needs a new hobby

mrgrudge

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
If you honestly don't care if your fish live or die then go away. This is a place for discussion between people who actually intend to take proper care of their pets.

EmaLee

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Roan Art said:
Jen,

Do a water change as soon as you can and vacuum the gravel. Test the water and post here, please.`

Roan
Could only get PH test, original water from this morning was well into the 8.4 range. Now it is either 7.2 or 7.8 (looked kinda in between the two colors). This was after I changed 2/3 to 3/4 of the water in the tank.

Jen

edited typo

Last edited:

knotty47

U give me coin, i give u booty!
Jan 23, 2006
huddersfield uk
TankManATL said:
personaly i wouldent care if they had died after 4 years...people die before that...sure your grow close to your fish and all..but inlike people they are replaceable...so if your goby dies...get a new one or move onto another fish..sure when i said months its been three..someone who looks up my first post and says i havent had them for along time is a f%$^%#$ nerd and needs a new hobby
Ohhh bravo TankManATL! yet another nugget of aquarium keeping gold!
Someone comes to the forum for help and advice and unfortunatly they find you, your like a pi$$ poor rebel! You see the advice given and you have to go against it, why? What Roan has said is the perfect answer to the problem, but not for tank, ohh no!

"get a new one or move onto another fish" are you mentally challenged?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
EmaLee said:
Could only get PH test, original water from this morning was well into the 8.4 range. Now it is either 7.2 to 7.8 (looked kinda in between the two colors). This was after I changed 2/3 to /34 of the water in the tank.

Jen
Jen,

I realize you are trying your hardest and it's obvious that a FW LFS is hard to find in your area, but pH is really low down on the scale of necessities when your fish are distressed from what appears to be a cycle.

However, the pH differences you've measured need to be addressed. Did you buy a liquid kit or a strip test? Can you take some of your tap water, leave it out overnight, then test the pH and post the results in the morning?

Can you buy an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate kit on line? It is really important that we know what your ammonia and nitrite levels are, or we can't tell what's going on. At this point and if you have to make a choice: ammonia and nitrite test. Those are the two things in the tank that will kill the fish.

BigAlsOnline has a Freshwater Master Test kit for $12.99:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=3111;pcid1=3233;pcid2=

The kit has low pH, high pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Everything you need to cycle. The problem with Big Als is that they don't ship overnight.

If you can, you can get it overnight from Drs Foster & Smith:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4454&N=2004+113074

The kit is $14.99 plus overnight shipping.

Roan

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
TankManATL said:
Jen...I would ignore posts from this individual, IMO.

Roan is giving solid advice you can definitely rely on.

Hang in there, you can get through this; it is well worth it in the long run, when you know you have provided the best care.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store