How quickly do angelfish grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Caspian

AC Members
Jun 19, 2011
I just bought 2 small angelfish from my local pet store. The employee assured me that they'd do fine in my 20H tank, but after bringing them home and researching angelfish care, I've come to realize that they will eventually outgrow my tank.

Now, I don't imagine this being too big of a deal because I plan on purchasing a larger tank eventually. But how soon will they need to be moved to a larger tank? When will I know it's time to get a larger tank?

Thanks!

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
2 angels in a 20 gallon high should be ok. I have angels that started off dime sized and grew to half dollar size in 2 months. When they are small they grow fast, mine slowed down after they hit the 1 1/2 inch mark.

Caspian

AC Members
Jun 19, 2011
Ok, thanks. So, I'll leave them in my tank for now. But I assume I'll need a larger tank eventually since they will grow up to 6 inches in length. Will this happen in, say... a year? Two years? I'm just trying to get an idea of what sort of time frame I'm looking at.

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
I've never seen an angel that big lol. I've seen 4" and they looked huge to me lol. I'm assuming if they were going to grow that big it would take a few years. Angels usually grow taller than wider.

Caspian

AC Members
Jun 19, 2011
Oh! I guess that's what I get for reading random sites on the Internet ;).

Thanks so much for your help!

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
Don't get me wrong, it's very possible for them to grow that size, but it would take a long time. I've had my bigger angels for almost a year and they are only around 2"

Caspian

AC Members
Jun 19, 2011
Ah, thanks. I'll be getting a large tank (75-100 gallons) eventually... probably in a few years. I'm very happy that it appears I won't have a problem having enough room by the time they need it :).

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
A lot depends on there growth rate but from what I see they are not quick growers IMO.

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
^ woah you must've been feeding them miracle grow. Lol. That's unusual for angel fish. I just rehomed one of my silvers, I got him when he was dime sized like 2 months ago and he was half dollar size when I gave him away. I have 4 marbled that I've had for almost a year and they are barely at the 2" mark. I think temperature has a lot to do with it too, higher water temps speed up their metabolism but also decreases their life span.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store