How quickly do angelfish grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Well but how much is finnage? They don't have a ton of mass and aren't super active like some fish so they should do well in 20 gallon even when they make full size.

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
^agreed if we are measuring mouth to fin then my veil tail is probably close to 5" . They really don't have much of a body mass. The op has a 20 high which is even better for angels.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Finnage counts regardless what some say.

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Well the fins don't really have much biomass and the angels are thin so yeah I really think 6 inch oscar is going to require more space and more tank resources than six inch angel.

So you're just going to post NO U to every post I make? If you can't back it up with more than that don't bother to say anything, and so far you've never made one real point so....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Mass isn't the issue...it's living tissue that needs supported by the body as a whole...my little finger doesn't have much mass compared to my leg, but it still has requirements that the physical body supports. That comes from the food we eat then excrete.

Depending on the angel, a taller tank may be required because of the finnage.

Digital

IC3D
Nov 18, 2007
Fairfield County, CT
www.ic3d.net
Real Name
Marc Digital
Well I have some video to contribute to this topic so I thought I'd share...

[YT]PAyOlh6jF2g[/YT]

When I first got my first batch of angels, they were a nickle size. Some were even dime sized.

[YT]n3uQ72Ash5E[/YT]

This is today. Just a week or so short of 2 months of having them in my 120g.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have had some angels reach 6 inches in a matter of months and some that never did. It depends partially on gentics. Either way, unless they are stunted, I don't think 2 adult sized angels would be happy in a 20 high. They are not the most active fish I have ever raised, however they make full use of my 150.
You are right in some ways with your comparison of the oscar...they eat a lot more and are much messier. However, I agree with Rbishop...the fins are important to consider in the overall health of an angelfish. If the fins are constantly in contact with substrate for example they can easily develop fin rot. So, it's not really just a "biomass" issue.

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
Well the fins don't really have much biomass and the angels are thin so yeah I really think 6 inch oscar is going to require more space and more tank resources than six inch angel.

So you're just going to post NO U to every post I make? If you can't back it up with more than that don't bother to say anything, and so far you've never made one real point so....
Lol....I <3 you, you wanna do coffee sometime?

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
I know I'm a little late in this thread but the op did mention that they were going to get a bigger tank eventually, I think the point of this thread was to make sure that the angels weren't going to grow to some monsterous size in the meantime....which to that I say they should be fine....we weren't really talking biomass and fins hitting the substrate, I think if the op had enough sense to post this thread, they would have enough sense to know when their angel's fins are sticking out the top of the tank that It's time to upgrade.....of course that's just my opinion....I could be wrong, especially according to Bob...who I'm sure will have something to say....hey sickbum, how bout that coffee?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
For swimming room yes but not for bioload. A 33 long would be totally unsuited being 48" long but only about 13" tall, whereas a standard 36" 30 is fine for a pair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store