How to match temps when doing large water changes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Regarding changes, I sometimes let my tanks go down 1-2, even 3 inches, leave it like that for a few days, and then finish the waterchange with cooler water. I'm probably overthinking it since they're fish, but I imagine it would be similar to being a period of drought and then a large rainstorm that washes out most of the remaining water and replaces it with cooler, fresher water. Dunno, but the fish seem to like it haha.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Yeah I always monitor the temp when I refill via a python. I start in the middle (single handle) then let it hit my wrist to judge the temp like you would a bottle for a baby. And I check my glass floating temp gauge during the refill as well.

This message will self destruct in...1...2...3...
Yeah this is what I tried doing today, worked ok but I was hoping for a less hands on approach. Im thinking about buying a rubbermaid which I can fill and let sit at room temp before refilling the tank, just have to figure out a pump to fill it back up. I already can see things going horribly wrong if I try dumping, especially when its 30-40 gallons at a time.

Regarding changes, I sometimes let my tanks go down 1-2, even 3 inches, leave it like that for a few days, and then finish the waterchange with cooler water. I'm probably overthinking it since they're fish, but I imagine it would be similar to being a period of drought and then a large rainstorm that washes out most of the remaining water and replaces it with cooler, fresher water. Dunno, but the fish seem to like it haha.
Do you mean draining and then refilling? If you just mean evaporation you aren't getting all of the crap out of your water, its just accumulating more and more as water evaporates.

My biggest worry is with the hot water getting too hot on me for whatever reason and boiling the fish. Much easier to heat the tank then cool it, so I can see why some people avoid hot water.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
This isn't "rocket surgery" here. I used to take the thermometer out of the tank and use it to adjust the water out of the tap to the same, or a degree under the same temperature. I didn't like this system, so I came up with a new one. It took me 9 years to fine tune it so that it is perfect. It cost me WAY MORE money than I had originally planned on spending, and it is not without it's flaws. However, in the end it was well worth it.....I have my son fill the buckets now :)~

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Hmmm.... a 9 year old + buckets of water = a soaked daddy where I'm from. It's worth the week of no minecraft.

I just fill it cold from the garden hose. Water come out of the tap at 55 around here though. Can do a 50% water change and only drop the temp to 65.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
This isn't "rocket surgery" here. I used to take the thermometer out of the tank and use it to adjust the water out of the tap to the same, or a degree under the same temperature. I didn't like this system, so I came up with a new one. It took me 9 years to fine tune it so that it is perfect. It cost me WAY MORE money than I had originally planned on spending, and it is not without it's flaws. However, in the end it was well worth it.....I have my son fill the buckets now :)~
The only flaw in this plan is that I'm the son here.

I wonder if I could hold tryouts and adopt an orphan who can do this for me. Probobly laws against that, but Im too impatient to make one myself.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Hmmm.... a 9 year old + buckets of water = a soaked daddy where I'm from. It's worth the week of no minecraft.

I just fill it cold from the garden hose. Water come out of the tap at 55 around here though. Can do a 50% water change and only drop the temp to 65.
In my house, a soaked daddy does indeed equal a week without minecraft. Especially when the temperature outside refuses to reach 30 degrees (this is the hardest winter that I can remember). If I did a cold water change here, I'd have penguins and Eskimos rushing in to decor my tank, along with a new hours devours called rainbowfishsicles.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Not that you need any more input, but this is what I do:
* Buy sink to garden hose adapter
* Run Hot water only on facet so it is as hot as it will get. This ensures the water doesn't get hotter than I intended.
* Turn down Hot water and turn on Cold water, and get as close to tank temp as I can by feeling it with my hand
* Connect hose and start filling tank.
* Test water coming out of hose and water in tank with my hand to feel the difference.
* Run back to sink to make a couple micro adjustments until the temp from hose is close to tank temp.
* Go do some laundry
* Turn off water before tank over flows.

Thats what I do for bigger tanks anyway. Smaller tanks I just get the sink pretty close by feel then fill up buckets.
It doesn't have to be exact, but I don't want to change my tank temp by more than a few degrees. I've never had any problems doing it that way.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Do you mean draining and then refilling? If you just mean evaporation you aren't getting all of the crap out of your water, its just accumulating more and more as water evaporates.
I mean both. I do drain the tanks down, but I also let some water evaporate on its own (around 1in a week actually). I then drain another 2in or so, leave it overnight, then drain to the 50% and refill. It's worked so far :p

Observer54

AC Members
Jul 5, 2013
Real Name
Mike
As Byron and Stingray suggested. Run your hot water tap wide open for as long as it takes to clear the resident cooler water in the pipes. Then adjust the cold until you achieve approximate tank temperature. Then there's no way the water will get any hotter. As hot water is used and is replaced in the tank with cold water, it may get a bit cooler...but in the typical home hot water tank, you should have plenty of hot water (since your also adding cold water to get that 120F hot water down to 75F or so) to do your water change. Now some caution here as some homes have very small hot water heaters or if there are times of heavy hot water use (like laundry day), it may it may not be the best time for the water change. Otherwise, you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store