How to sterilize aquarium equipment from bacterial disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So my tank has columnaris. Need to clean the filter, WC buckets, net, and my hospital tank as I had put the first infected fish in there. QT tank has live plants and drift wood. Will letting everything dry out completely kill bacteria? OR am I going to really need to sterilize

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Make sure to clean everything you are going to use in the new set up. Not sure if driftwood, sand/gravel, etc. is good to use anymore. Best to start from the beginning, keep and clean the tank, filters, heaters, covers, etc. only. Use bleach, as mentioned. Make sure to clean thoroughly as it can still come back. After cleaning with bleach, pour in de-chlorinator with water and let it sit for a day. Next day, dump everything out, rinse and let it sun dry for a few days. Hopefully it is still sunny/hot there. Just try not to set it up immediately as I did that and the columnaris came back even though I dumped the whole tank in a big tub of bleach and water mix.
Best to separate the sick looking fishes from the healthy looking ones. In my opinion and experience, once you are able to see the columnaris on the fish, it has no chance. I don't remember what medication I used but I overdose the qt tank with it and after 3 weeks, the healthy looking fish stayed healthy. The ones that showed it all died. That's how I lost most of my female bettas in my community tank.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
bleach and water mix, let everything soak that isn't porous. i would just chuck the gravel, wood, plants, and filter media. rinse everything really well (i'd be paranoid and do a 10x rinse, lol), then set it out in the sun for a day, then do the fill and soak with dechlorinated water. Prime is best, and i would give it a hefty dose. after a day long soak in super dechlor'd water, dump and rinse everything again and set up as normal.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
geez that will be alot of work... I hope I dont have to do this for my big tank I hope the meds will get it in check! but unfort it sounds like my QT needs to be redone :(

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I would do this on the tanks you had the sick fish in as not all the disease will be killed off from the medication. Best to clean so you don't have to deal with it again.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
bleach and water mix like others..........have said

and/or u could boil it.....

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i wouldn't advise putting boiling water into a tank, or boiling the plastic parts of a filter, or boiling a heater. glass can crack, silicone can come undone, plastic can warp, heaters can go kaboom.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
How can I clean the tank that the infected fish are in? w/e I move them too will be infected by the water correct? And then they would still have a little of the water on them when I went to put them back in right? This is assuming the medication works and my fish live. OFc if they die I am going to clean everything very, very well but I am really hoping that doesnt happen....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store