How to sterilize aquarium equipment from bacterial disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I would clean anything the sick fishes came in contact with, even if water dropped into a tank. I would move all your stock, sick and healthy fishes (separately) to bare bottom tanks as that is the best way. Medications I used did not do well in tanks with gravel/sand, decorations, etc.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
How can I clean the tank that the infected fish are in? w/e I move them too will be infected by the water correct? And then they would still have a little of the water on them when I went to put them back in right? This is assuming the medication works and my fish live. OFc if they die I am going to clean everything very, very well but I am really hoping that doesnt happen....
if the fish survive they will have developed anti bodies from the infection...the only fear is that they may infect the tank they are introduced into.. often best to keep the fish in hospital tank for a few weeks..over time the bacteria won't be a real issue.

you can use either Chlorine(bleach) or H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) to clean the surfaces of the tank and decor.. these will of course kill any beneficial bacteria you have as well as the not so beneficial bacteria..or pathogens. either of these will work. and both have short shelf life when exposed. but can be easily rinsed off

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
You can bleach everything except wood. You need to boil that in water. If the wood is too large to fit in a pot run it through the dishwasher without soap.

Bleach everything, liberally.. Then rinse in water and then soak in reg tap water with dechlor. Use 10 drops per gallon minimum. Regular Dechlor brand dechlor will neutralize bleach.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Thank you all very much for the replies! Star_Rider THANK YOU for bringing up the point of antibodies idk how I didnt think about that before... my primary concern was this re-occuring in my 75gal tank and as of today there were no more deaths (started medication last night) and if they survive its good to know they are going to be more resistant to it. I will be boiling the wood in the QT tank since its small and I will bleach everything else except my biggest tank since moving the fish out will stress them and only complicate further (last time I moved one of my fish he got fungus from the stress) so hopefully by the treatment this thing is fixed...

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I filled my 10 gallon QT tank up w/ 9/10 gallons water and 1/10 gallon bleach for a 1:10 bleach solution. I have my net, heater and some acessories soaking in it and my question is to sterilize my filter should I just run my filter w/ this bleach solution? that should clean the insides really well right?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Yes....that is exactly what you should do. It will run through all the working parts.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
whew good! lol cause its already happening :p. Its been about 30 mins how long should I do it for?

Got rid of the gravel in the QT tank, how can I clean the plants? I boiled the wood that was in there for like 20 mins at a really high boil, I took it out 10 mins ago and its still steaming!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I am actually taking this opportunity to bleach clean all my decorations that I have obtained with various tank deals that are used... will be nice to know they are clean!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So after my 1:10 bleach soak and running it through my filters for approx 2 hours I drained it (using a gravel pump that was used in contaminated waters so as to clean that too) and filled up with tap water, double dechlorinated it, drained it, filled it again and tripple dechlored it. Am now leaving it over night to run through filters and soak. What else do I need to do before filling this up for real use?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Nothing...as long as you can't smell any beach. I have let them air dry, but also just rinsed really well and dechlor really well. Sheould be good to go. Lots of work huh? LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store