Huge+Tiny fish=?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
The rule for fish is usually this,fish smaller than another fish mouth will get eaten,is there anyway to keep tiny fishes like neons with huge fishes like red tail catfish or giant guorami or arapaima without getting eaten(excludes fishes that stick to the wall)?Will the large fish see a school of neons,too insignificant to be food or is it just gobbled up?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
likely youll notice a gradual decrease in the population.

the one way to do it is to have a large... very large.... tank where they could be far enough apart at all times to avoid getting eaten.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
So a huge fish will eat a tiny fish even if the tiny fish is 1/100000 of the predator's size?how about large filter feeders?

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
There might be one way out of this. If you get the big fish when they are all small and they "grow up" togethor, it could lower the chance of having the big fish see the small fish as food.

Real life example:
My friend had a perfect tank...large fish..small fish. everything was fine. He fed them ghost shrimp. Next day, one by one, the small fish (zebra danios) got eaten.

Moral of the story: Let them grow up togethor and this lowers the chances of small fish being eaten!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
On top of the very large tank, you'll also need very very dense coverage so that the little guys have a fighting chance of hiding. Just a note, I am referring to a large predatory fish (ie. an oscar) compared to a much smaller fish (ie. a neon).

-Richer

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Well...I think all fry's (or is it Fries?) are open game. They are pretty small. In another tank I have a few serpaes (going to sell for more exotic type fish) that went after my bristlenose fry that were about 1/4 inch long. and I think my petricolas (love those guys) may have had some lunch as well...but they arent suppose to eat fry..so who knows. anyway...pretty much anything eats fry...IMO

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Jamison-No,you did not understand the question,an arapaima measures 4.5 metres while a guppy fry is less than 1cm,would something that big notice something that small and would go after it and eat it?

Last edited:

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
good question. IM going to be honest here. I have no idea. Try to find someone who has one perhaps? So will a LARGE fish mind a VERY small fish (will he/she want to even waste their energy for such a small meal?)

I really dont know. I DO KNOW that if I add 1 frozen brine shrimp (very small) the tinfoil (8 inches) will go after it. I am going to the store tommorrow and Buy some Live brine shrimp. and i will see what happens when I add it.

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
It depends on the fish. For example, I know many people who have successfully kept neons and cardinals with all 4 pygocentrus species and a few serrasalmines. However, my bowfin is already 10.5 inches and still goes after brine shrimp. I highly doubt that a 10 foot+ arapaima would even notice a 1 cm guppy or neon. Predators which rely on scent are a bigger hazard to much smaller fish than are sight hunters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store