Hurricane season & aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MSmith

AC Members
Nov 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Hi,

Since hurricane season has started, I'm trying to figure out how best to take care of my tanks if we get hit. I live on a barrier island off the Texas coast. I've lived here for two hurricane seasons so far and we've been pretty lucky, but someday our luck will run out.

If a hurricane hits that doesn't require evacuation and we lose power, I think I can handle it. I can stock up on water and do daily water changes. I can keep my filters alive in tank water by adding ammonia. What worries me is if I have to evacuate. I'd probably put my bettas in critter keepers and bring them with me, but I don't know what I'd do with my other tanks.

I don't think there's much I could do about the temps (in S. Tx in August, with no A/C temps inside would hit above 90F), but what could I do to keep the tanks oxygenated and filtered. I know there are battery operated air pumps. How long do those last? Is there something I could do to keep my filters running? Does anyone have any other advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Melissa

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
How about a generator converted to run on natural gas and a large underground tank or something? That'd be good to have there even if you didn't have fish to take care of.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
they have power storage/ surge protectors for aquariums similar to those for computers.. they basically charge until the power goes out. then they kick in and keep things running.

might be a good investment.

MSmith

AC Members
Nov 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
How about a generator converted to run on natural gas and a large underground tank or something? That'd be good to have there even if you didn't have fish to take care of.
That would be great, but there's no way we can afford it right now. Maybe someday.

they have power storage/ surge protectors for aquariums similar to those for computers.. they basically charge until the power goes out. then they kick in and keep things running.
Something like this sounds like what I'm looking for. Do you have any idea where I'd find them? Does Big Al's carry them?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Melissa

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i'm not positive about big al's but i would expect them to have something similar at least.. i see them at petsmart.

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Originally posted by silentskream
i'm not positive about big al's but i would expect them to have something similar at least.. i see them at petsmart.
They're the same devices used on computers. I tested a Belkin 1200VA UPS that I had bought for about $100 and found it would run just my filter for around 16 hours. Throw in a heater and that time will drop.

MSmith

AC Members
Nov 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
They're the same devices used on computers. I tested a Belkin 1200VA UPS that I had bought for about $100 and found it would run just my filter for around 16 hours. Throw in a heater and that time will drop.
That should be easy to find then. It would help for at least short term black outs. (I remember when Andrew came through Louisiana. We lost power for 12 hours. My friend who lived nearby lost it for nine days.) Doubt I'd hook my heater up to it. If it's hurricane season in South Texas and the power is out it will be hot in the house. I'd be more worried about them boiling then the temperature dropping too low.

Thanks

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Suggestions

Power outages are one thing, evacuation is another, a good hit may be entirely different. You can only do so much. I have a few suggestions.

First, those battery powered airstones are cheap, so get one for each tank, maybe two for bigger tanks, plus a lot of batteries.

Second, you'd want to take the top off the tank to get more air circulation. So get some netting or screening now that would keep the fish from jumping.

The filters need air also, so you'd open a canister and put the media in a shallow pan of water.

Unplug all filters so that you know they are rinsed before you turn them on again. Unplug heaters and lights too.

And while you are storing water for drinking and cleaning, store some for the fish. And a good cleaning and water change would be helpful as long as you don't upset the biofilter. When power is restored, they may run nasty chemicals through the lines, so use your stored water for the first water change. I recall someone who went through a winter storm OK with several days lost power but the first water change killed all his fish. Let some time go and maybe even call the water dept before you risk the fish. You can collect rainwater most likely.

If you have to evacuate, you might make food packets and attach to the tanks a small daily portion of food in case someone can get to your house on occasion to check on them.

Be certain that you have not overstocked the tanks and keep them clean so they have a good chance of making it. Fish can be tough, my sister had a fire in her room as a teenager and the 5 angelfish tanks were covered in a 1/2" layer of nasty soot. Hardly any of them died with no filter, no power and no clean surface for air for several days.

Be prepared, and be understanding that no one else will be interested in your fish problems when they are worrying about whether the house will be flooded or blown away.

I was a little kid living at Grand Isle, La. when it took a direct hit from Hurricane Betsy. Us kids spent 6 weeks at Grandma's house while they dug out the roads from under 6' of sand. When we returned, some houses had stairs to the living quarters on the second floor, some did not. There was nothing on the ground floor below the 7' mark. There was a house dropped in the middle of the playground.

I know that here in Houston my area was out of power for 3 weeks following a hurricane. You really miss the washing machine and the refrigerator by then.

Very important that you think about these things now, for you may not have much time when it becomes necessary!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
In an optimal scenario you have a planted tank where you can open the room to sunlight letting the plants help out with O2 during the daylight hours.

I would recommend the battery powered airstones and a good supply of batteries though.

If you have any natrually occuring breeze through the house taking the tops off the tanks so they have a breeze going across them will help cool some and help get more O2 into the water.

Down on Mustang/S. Padre you won't need heaters during hurricane season I would suspect.

My vote would be for the battery powered airstones. How long are you talking about being without power here?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store