i cant take the wait any longer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
well that is also in limbo for i'm not really ready for the final stock. i've been looking around, but didn't want to start a stocking thread while this one was going. (i have that asian theme thread going - but that's my other tank). as of right now angels is basically all i can tell you. i'd imagine a school of compatible fish (maybe rasbora if they will be ok) a smaller end loach(s).. i'm pretty much wide open to suggestions. either platinum or leapord angels are a definite.

Up until recently, my 75g was stocked as follows:

(4) angels
(12) cardinals
(8) cories
(12) khuli loaches
(1) dojo loach
(1) peppermint pleco
(1) rubberlip pleco

Aside from the angels that paired off and beat the crap out of the other angels, aggression was non existant. The tank was moderately planted with driftwood and rocks. The substrate was 100% Flourite.

You could do a similar setup. If I had it to do over, I'd start with 1 angel and leave it at that. Angels are pretty, but when 2 pair off, the others are going to get bullied to death. Mine did.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
aw cripes. i'm here tonight so you know there's an issue. i just did my water tests and decided to test with my new hagen ammonia bottle along with the api.

api is telling me my 46 has .50 ammonia - hagen is saying i have 0. i know the advice will be to do a water change... *sigh* and if i must i will, just let me know what you think... i'm predicting a "possible faulty test kit" but this is what my LFS uses.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
im thinking my cycle was never established in the fist place, dont ask me why. my reasons for believing?

never saw any nitrites and my nitrates ended up being in my tap. also i thought my ammonia was staying at 0 but maybe my hagen kit is whacked out. i dont know man... im doing the dam water change dont worry.

Last edited:

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Either way, don't be discouraged, Kat. It'll get there.

Everyone I know with any practical expertise recommends the API test kit only because it's the most reliable test method available. So if there's doubt or conflicting results, go by what API tells you.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA

Everyone I know with any practical expertise recommends the API test kit only because it's the most reliable test method available. So if there's doubt or conflicting results, go by what API tells you.

yeah, i just tested my 3g which i've dosed clear ammonia to for the 2nd time and API says 4.0+, hagen says 2.4. but regaurdless kashta, do't you think i would have seen nitrites by now at least? (started the cycle exactly a month ago.. dec 8th i believe.

im starting to think bacteria doesn't grow in connecticut.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
yeah, i just tested my 3g which i've dosed clear ammonia to for the 2nd time and API says 4.0+, hagen says 2.4. but regaurdless kashta, do't you think i would have seen nitrites by now at least? (started the cycle exactly a month ago.. dec 8th i believe.
Yes, absolutely. Whether you have fish in there or are doing this fishless, for the cycle to be complete... you still go through the exact same progression. High Ammonia with one or more spikes - followed by high readings on Nitrites as the Ammonia decreases - followed by traces of Nitrates (beyond what comes from the tap) - which eventually leads to no Ammonia or Nitrites and higher levels of Nitrate. The final stage concludes as a self-sustaining, well established balance. And as long as we don't overstock or overfeed and we do our regular water changes to clear out the Nitrates.. it stays cycled.

But look at the timing. You've been doing this for a month and it takes a good 6-8 weeks to cycle a tank. Yes, you've done a lot to speed up the process, but you're also doing this with fish.. and that makes it way less predictable and lengthens the process even more. (As you've seen all along.)

To protect the fish, you need to do constant water changes. You wouldn't have to do that so much without them. As I've followed this thread, I've been tempted to tell you a few times to stop testing it every day. Leave it alone and let it run it's course. That old saying that a watched pot never boils. Every time you change something or stick your fingers in there, something else is effected by it. And the more you monitor it and fuss over and try this suggestion and that one.. the more you correct and overcorrect things. It slows everything down and it drives you nuts.. at least it does me. I know you can't just leave it alone and let it go because of the fish. And you're doing such a diligent job taking care of them. So I haven't said anything.. just kept watching and hoping it'll cycle completely soon.

Years ago, I went through something like this with a large tank full of fish and no information at all about the nitrogen cycle. The only advice I had to go on was an idiotic pet store who kept selling me things to clear up cloudy water and pads to remove ammonia. This went on for months and I lost so many fish, I just sat there and cried. It really tears us up going through that. And I really feel for you with all the work.. the money.. and the frustration I see you going through.

Just remember.. no matter what you do, this will end. And everything will be perfect. Please don't let it discourage you at all.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
That's a great start, Kat. This will be worth it... you'll see.

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001

I won't disagree with this, but I will say that I used Hagen stuff when I kept salt and it was always accurate (had the LFS confirm).. Maybe your Hagen kit is old? These things do have a shelf life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store