I found a toad, please advise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Forum221

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Naperville, Il
Visit site
I have a small toad that my friend cought me to feed to my RDP but after seeing the toad, i decided to keep him. He is living in a 5 gal tank with a screen lid. Make sure you have some kind of lamp that gives off UV light, at first i just had an incandecent and he did fine during the summer because of the light by the window. But now in winter since the lack of light he wasn't doing that good because of lack of UV. To solve the problem i got him a flourecent light and that gives off enough for him. In his tank he has a small rock cave, a rock water bowl and a fake plant. I use a spray bottle simulate rain for him and feed him crickets. He's a great pet. I useto have terrium wood chips from a petstore for the ground covering but if this drys out it smells and he always gets wet then gets wood chips in the water bowl, so i got some carpet from the petstore that goes on the bottom of the tank and it works great. No Parasites

Last edited:

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
You might want to check to make sure it's legal to keep him. I don't know about your state, but mine has really strict fish/game laws regarding keeping any wild animals, including toads. (I've been researching a native biotope tank, and found out I can't keep much of anything....) If anyone happened to mention your pet to someone who accidentally said something to a game warden, you'd have to pay fines and possibly have your other pets taken as well...

Most of the time they won't say anything, but I personally know a few game wardens that are just mean like that...

PunkMartyr

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
Stroudsburg, PA
Visit site
Originally posted by pinballqueen
You might want to check to make sure it's legal to keep him. I don't know about your state, but mine has really strict fish/game laws regarding keeping any wild animals, including toads. (I've been researching a native biotope tank, and found out I can't keep much of anything....) If anyone happened to mention your pet to someone who accidentally said something to a game warden, you'd have to pay fines and possibly have your other pets taken as well...

Most of the time they won't say anything, but I personally know a few game wardens that are just mean like that...
Thats good warning, but if someone tried to fine me over a common toad i'd probably slash their tires or something relatiatory

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
They say that some toads you can lick their backs and have a GREAT TIME! Some sort of hulligenic (misspelled) drug...

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
so try and see if that toad is the same one? Lick the back and tell me what happens? :)

wetmanNY

AC Members
Toads are well known to be poisonous-- have you ever seen a dog cough one up?-- retch retch retch. That's why I was surprised to hear of one presented for food.

but it's good to have some light finally shed on Jamison's unnerving posts, eh...

Merry Christmas Herbert!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store