I GOT MY CLAMS TODAY!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
You know whats weird? I have literally TRIED to get green water, and I can never get it. I just get String Algae.
Maybe Chazsgirl can teach us how to do it... if the thread doesn't get locked first.

You 3 guys up there, stop arguing! You're all misunderstanding eachother. Just let it go.

I want a green water guide from Chazsgirl with pictures.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Chef, the person you are replying to did not mean that YOU kill anything. It's the person you're encouraging with her doomed clams, 1 day green water and 0 nitrates (uncycled tanks) running part time filtration that is going to have the big tank crash. This thread is hers and about her tank.

You're offering her encouragement, and they're offering her advice which is negatively toned because everyone remembers the train wreck of a poll from a few days ago. Nobody thinks you're a fish killer.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
it this does not get back on track this thread will be closed. Please keep your comments and suggestions to the OP's questions and personal experience to keeping fw clams. I caution everyone to try and be helpful and courteous. Flaming and personal battles should be kept out of threads and we should be careful to try and offer guidance and support rather than criticism. For many, this is a learning curve and being turned away because of harsh criticism from past mistakes does no one any favors.

Last edited:

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
thank you very much

i just tried to encourage her with success and am interested due to my desire to perhaps get some one day

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Hmmmm I like the third person in that post above! An entertaining read.

Regardless, back to the OP's original post(s). I don't see any questions remaining from the OP. She claims that:

1) She has her green water (in < 24 hrs) and can reproduce it easily on demand.
2) The clams are all alive, healthy, and eating.
3) Her tanks are all cycled for the health of this invertebrate and her other specimens (zero nitrates/and running times of 8-12 hrs. qD are not a concern).
4) She has done extensive research, and has a good sense of what to expect with this animal.

She claims good control over the situation, her animals, and needs no further assistance/comments..... until further notice. I hope she'll have the fortitude to ask for assistance here if/when it is required.

EDIT: LOL 16 individuals viewing!!!!!!

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
if you want to post here to give me advice that's cool thanks but please don't assume you know everything i do! also please research my other tank operations before commenting! the 20g snail/shrimp/clam tank has been cycled and the filter runs 24/7 the 29g tank is the one that runs 8-12hrs!
clams were added today and all have their feet exposed, we shall see from there!

ADDED:
THANKS CHEF FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Couple things I'd like to say. One, you might want to get contrasting gravel, maybe black. You will be able to keep track of the clams better if they dont blend in.

Maybe make the tank a little open, avoid things that could hide your clams. It'll be important to see them often so you can get any casualties out before you lose everything else because of the parameter spike.

Make sure they're feeding. Add green water frequently, and try to keep the filters on (though it may be good to turn them off just after you introduce the green water).

You know whats weird? I have literally TRIED to get green water, and I can never get it. I just get String Algae.
Same here. At least you got something to grow, all I get is daphnia :duh:

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Same here. At least you got something to grow, all I get is daphnia :duh:
You can feed them to some Neons. :D chazsgirl, how did you get a green water culture so fast? How often do you feed them. You said you added them today, where were they in the last 2 days? I'm looking forward to how this turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store