I hate my area

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rstrobel

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Modesto, CA
they are malaysian trumpet snails. they are darker colored and have a spiraled, pointed shell, correct? i get them from tropical haven all of the time, their tanks usually have them in them and when they net your fish some snails get picked up too. they stay relatively small and in my opinion are very useful, especially in small tanks where it is easy to control their population.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
they are malaysian trumpet snails. they are darker colored and have a spiraled, pointed shell, correct? i get them from tropical haven all of the time, their tanks usually have them in them and when they net your fish some snails get picked up too. they stay relatively small and in my opinion are very useful, especially in small tanks where it is easy to control their population.
That is indeed what they are. I decided to keep the lil guys and split them up half and half for my 2 tanks. Btw I bought a couple moss balls and a few fish while I was there =] It was refreshing to see so many tanks that weren't half full with dead fish. The owner wasn't there so there were some questions that I still got unanswered but I guess that's what AC is for after all.

I'm going to go back in a week or so to see if they have anymore plants that I'd like to add to my tanks.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
Glad to hear you're finally getting some of the stuff you wanted!
I also share your pain!
Our town has plenty of stoplights, but it's about 45 min away. We are in the Middle Of Nowhere. Dirt road, lots of cows, you get the picture...
Anyhow, in town, my lfs is called 'birdland'.
I'm currently going to the next state to find a decent fish store.
Guess I'll keep looking for fish stores & watch what comes up on AC!:)

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Glad to hear you're finally getting some of the stuff you wanted!
I also share your pain!
Our town has plenty of stoplights, but it's about 45 min away. We are in the Middle Of Nowhere. Dirt road, lots of cows, you get the picture...
Anyhow, in town, my lfs is called 'birdland'.
I'm currently going to the next state to find a decent fish store.
Guess I'll keep looking for fish stores & watch what comes up on AC!:)
Jeez with all the cows and dirt roads you sound like you are living down the street from me lol. That's exactly how it is out here to a T. Tons of farms, fields and dairies.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
this thread reminded me when I went into a LFS a few days ago, they had 5 tanks with different kinds of platies in each :]

I really wish we had a privately owned LFS here the size of petsmart or one of the other big chain stores.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
this thread reminded me when I went into a LFS a few days ago, they had 5 tanks with different kinds of platies in each :]

I really wish we had a privately owned LFS here the size of petsmart or one of the other big chain stores.

I wish I could find a local breeder. I want some baby female bettas =]

fanutd100

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Portland, OR
Real Name
Harry Brown
I know this thread is old, but now I find myself in the same situation. Live in Portland, there are LFS, but never find the stock I need. Looking for Java moss over 1 month now but can't find any. Can't afford aquabid as a golf ball often costx like $10+ while I need plenty as I plan to make a moss wall, a moss carpet as well as tying some to rock, statue. Also look for a halfmoon female betta, but all I found was veiltail ones.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I know this thread is old, but now I find myself in the same situation. Live in Portland, there are LFS, but never find the stock I need. Looking for Java moss over 1 month now but can't find any. Can't afford aquabid as a golf ball often costx like $10+ while I need plenty as I plan to make a moss wall, a moss carpet as well as tying some to rock, statue. Also look for a halfmoon female betta, but all I found was veiltail ones.
You could always place a "WTB" ad here on AC's buy and sell marketplace. Lots of times you will find someone who just has way too much of something you are looking for an will sell it to you dirt cheap. I kind of prefer hobbyist stock and plants over LFS anyway. =)

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
^^ I agree! There are a lot of generous members on here who would be more than willing to help you out with getting what you need. A lot of the time they will give you a little more than you asked for. When I first joined, a member was nice enough to send me some fish food for free to help me get started and I'll never ever forget the kind gesture.

On a side note, it's so funny reading back through this thread, I didn't even know what MTS were haha! Oh good people of AC, what would I have done without you?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store