I have to euthanize

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
i appreciate that you're trying to get it right with the temp thing and i'm interested to learn that high temps can cause a problem with meds but can we not turn this thread into a debate about it- it takes away from responses to my actual questions

his thermometer says 80 right now and i don't want to adjust it anymore, as temp change = stress

i'm glad to learn that antibiotics don't add osmotic stress- i thought anything disolved in the water increased it.

I think i'm going to buy maracyn 2 and clove oil and if i don't see improvement or i see continued rapid deterioration i'll have the clove oil on hand.

i'm still listening for those who have more to add. thanks. -Kyle

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Kyle3, there's a product called Furan 2. It contains nitrafurazone ( I think that's what it's called ) as YoFishboy stated. I've had good results with it when maracyn and maracyn2 weren't working. I don't remember which co. makes Furan 2, maybe AP. On the temp. issue; I personally have kept bettas from 76 to 84 degrees with no difference in health or behavior. If you wind up having to euthanize I think the clove oil would be the least traumatic for both of you.

Mark

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I've got the mar. 2 in the tank and I looked at 4 places for clove oil with no luck- matbe it's fate. . .walgreens the biggest drug store around here didn't have it so i'm at a loss of where else to find it. . .i'll run through the phone book when i get home

Arised is still refusing food

his coloring is bad

I guess i'll see how things are in the morning.

goodnight guys. thanks for all your suggestions

Lauren

Say hello to my lilttle friends
Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
I think the worst way to euthanize has to be baking soda, the fish basically suffocates, and you get to watch him do so.

blunt force trama is fast. I couldn't bring myself to use baking soda on an angelfish that developed swim bladder problems only about a day after I had bought him. However, I couldn't smash him either. My sister's friend had to do it while I was out of the room. It was a fast death. One smack and he was out. But it was definately tramatic.

that is my experiance for euthanisia. I am still for the practice, as I would rather have a swift death than a slow, painful one. I just don't like being the one doing it. However, it is less painful to watch a couple seconds of pain then it is to watch a fish slowly deteriorate and die before your eyes.

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
thankyou for your help and support everyone

i think i might have good news. this morning, after adding the maracyn2 last night, the progression of the fin rot seems to have slowed and the discoloration has changed to a markedly different color.

progress perhaps?- I'll be in to look after him over the weekend we'll see if he improves.

-Kyle

Vyper

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
Manchester, UK
Surely the simplist way is to just drop the fish from a high height, i.e. head eight to floor level usually kills a fish the size of a betta and its fast and done with. In the past I've had to euthenize a fish and this is by far the quickest way of doing it. Just net him out and then drop him on something hard, if you've got carpet down then stick something hard on the floor for him to hit.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Vyper said:
Surely the simplist way is to just drop the fish from a high height, i.e. head eight to floor level usually kills a fish the size of a betta and its fast and done with. In the past I've had to euthenize a fish and this is by far the quickest way of doing it. Just net him out and then drop him on something hard, if you've got carpet down then stick something hard on the floor for him to hit.
I have accidentaly dropped a betta out of a net from shoulder height and it was just fine afterwards. I dont feel that this is a good solution. Good luck with the betta Kyle. I send you and him my best wishes :)

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I agree that dropping is not effective i had a betta jump out of his uncovered tank years ago it was on a shelf about eye level when standing and i scooped him up and put him back in he was fine

and thanks jodi

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store