I want to fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I personally invest in quality equipment but I was also a serious fisherman. I have somewhere around 20-30 rods and reels, from ultralight to heavy boat rods.

I see no sense in investing in quality equipment the first few times you go out. By the same token, you will have less equipment and tackle problems. I do have a couple of cheap setups and believe it or not they have lasted for several years. When I fish for keepers I only use my quality equipment. When I fish for fun I use anything I happen to grab up.

Spider wire is especially limp and very thin. Ideal for the experienced person as is braided line. I don't recommend it due to the price and being a first outing. If you get bit by the fishing bug, then by all means invest in it and a quality reel. For now, don't get the cheapest, try to get middle-of-the-road priced line and equipment.

Because I used to fish quite heavily and often participated in tournaments, I wouldn't blink an eye at at spending $200 on a rod and another $150 for reel. But that's to be expected when you can literally walk to a place to fish and practice.

Learn and use the Palomar knot - quick, easy and can be ties with wet, cold hands.
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Last edited:

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Just to learn on, I'd buy a zebco 33 or 333 set up which will do fine for bass and catfish and find out if you can learn to fish before spending a lot of money on equipment. I've been fishin' for 46 yrs and like ex, own 30 or 40 setups from light tackle to heavy offshore rigs. I learned on a little zebco rig. My kids learned on little zebco rigs. They're easy to cast and the 33 and 333 have enough muscle to land decent fish.

Mark

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
i use the shimano 6'6 solara and a shimano 4000r open face reel they are very good and strong rods i use a 12-15 lb test spider wire and learn how to tie a fishermans knott it will save you many lures and many swivels there fairly cheap rods and are very good for a beginner

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store