Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
Ah okay, I thought they where the penguins we talked about earlier. That's awesome! I coulda swore I saw their little tuxedos in the pictures you just showed. Like I told you earlier I LOVE penguin tetras. How is the trio holding up after settling in? Are they still showing signs of weakness or disease?
Not that I can see, though they may be weak from the high nitrates they are acting pretty normal. Here is the full tank shot, blue light still on but it was taken during the daytime. Thanks for any suggestion:)IMG_20160328_170131521_HDR.jpg

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
West I really like it. That one fake plant in the front is really nice! Expecially how it reached all the way to the surface. Is the castle your BNs territory haha? I can only see one penguin in that picture but he seems to be doing well. Are they eating well? Perhaps another W/C to bring nitrates down if they are above 40ppm. Are you still currently fighting ich? Sorry it's a lot of questions i just am curious about your remaining penguins :).

Reactions: Wild West

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
West I really like it. That one fake plant in the front is really nice! Expecially how it reached all the way to the surface. Is the castle your BNs territory haha? I can only see one penguin in that picture but he seems to be doing well. Are they eating well? Perhaps another W/C to bring nitrates down if they are above 40ppm. Are you still currently fighting ich? Sorry it's a lot of questions i just am curious about your remaining penguins :).
Hi, thanks!! I do not see any ich on these 3 remaining Penguins. Plastic plant was in the back but the circulation moved it up front and the fish don't seem to mind. Yes, the 3 remaining PENGUINS (lol) all look good, slime coat and scales are good from what I see, and they are all eating, they are not flashing or itching. Just like you thought, theBN lives in the castle, except when we he gets some spirulina chip pieces.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Excellent, that's awesome that the fish have no sign of ich. I'm assuming after their stressful travels these 3 are the only very hardiest of the bunch. As you said their slime coat looks good, and so does their scales and also I'm assuming color looks good as well. Since these 3 have recovered just keep them in clean water(less than 10 nitrates), and feed them a varied diet(frozen brine, frozen bloodworms, flake food, pellet and more). These will provide base fish for your larger school down the road. When you put new fish in to build your school they will be less skittish and acclimate better with the calm base school you have. I liked the plant in the front, but I'm sure it would look just as good in the back. Lol your BN is "King of the castle." Overall I'm glad your fish are getting back to tip top shape :).

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Hmmm...West I'm a little concerned over the 0 nitrates. Remind me, is this tank cycled? Did you just do a W/C? 0amm and 0 nit is great, but I'm just curious on the 0 nitrates you should have something detectable unless cleaned recently.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
Thanks Belltrain Belltrain :) I looked again this morning, in daylight, the nitrates are closer to 2.5ppm, not 0 but not 5. This is a new tank, but I took ceramic hex's and some floss from the previous 55gal canister and put them in the back of this little all in one aq. I have also been dosing artificial beneficial bacteria.

I rinsed the tank/components before I set it up. I think I set it up on Saturday. I have not cleaned it or done any water changes since then.

Does any of this make sense?

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
It seems that we where lucky and the seeded material is taking your ammonia and going down the "assembly line" to make nitrates in the end. This is a great sign that the cycle has remained intact, through the transferring process. Your nitrates do seen low at the moment and this may be there is not a lot of buildup of fish waste. I would watch and test regularly to see if we have any sign of amm or nitrite rearing it's ugly head again. If you can keep your nitrates below 10 and your tank cycled your fish should have no problem growing used to your tank :) creating the "base school" we talked about earlier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store