ID please - What the heck is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the_other

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Greensboro, NC
A friend at the LFS threw this into a purchase for free a few months ago. Was tagged as a Bolivian Ram, and looked to be one when it was an inch long. It obviously isn't. Any ideas?

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I saw a similar fish at the LFS. Could that be a "Firemouth" cichlid?

the_other

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Greensboro, NC
thanks. I thought it could be a jack dempsey, firemouth, green terror or texas cichlid but nothing seems to fit considering the colorations. it actually looks like a mix of all. strange fish...

Chele&Luke

Confused Mostly...
May 18, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
No idea here - but it sure is pretty!! :)

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
It's a firemouth cichlid- thorichthys meeki. Certainly not a Bolivian ram (microgeophagus altipsinosa). They get relatively large compared to dwarf cichlids, and are much more aggressive. I'd keep that fish in nothing less than 29 gallons, 30 long if in a pair. Choose tankmates wisely- I've had my FM kill a sailfin gibbiceps pleco. Good luck!!!!!!:)

the_other

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Greensboro, NC
thanks for the help

it is in my planted 80 euro (which you should never buy unless it has overflows built in) so i am sure there is enough room.

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Wow. Some nice guesses guys. Doesnt even look close to a JD or a GT.

Its a Firemouth (Meeki). They can be peaceful with community fish SOMETIMES. It all depends on the pesonality of the fish. A lot of people keep them in planted tanks with platies, swordtails, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store