If you have extra filteration, can you overstock your tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

watermelon

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
I have a 55 gallon tank..The filteration is an undergravel filter with two powerheads rated up to 60 gallons..An internal fluval filter, rated up to 57 gallons..And I have a penguin bio wheel, rated up to 70 gallons..Was wondering if I can overstock my tank since I have a lot of filteration? I know the LFS overstocks their tanks and they dont seem like they have a lot of filteration.

doughsing

Haaa-lo...
Jan 15, 2006
SoCal
LFS's use huge wet/dry systems that provide ALOT of mechanical and biological filtration for their tanks, in addition to whatever filtration is attached to the individual tanks themselves. Also, remember that the number of fish in each of those tanks are constantly changing as people buy fish from them. A more realistic view on tank livestock capacities is to look at their (the LFS) "show" tanks.

You could probably get by on being "slightly" overstocked (i.e. 1 or 2 small fish over the limit) w/ that filtration, but you would also have to increase your amount of maintenance (water changes).

Last edited:

laffingbuddha

We're all one
Jan 15, 2006
See below for the load I've got on my 125g! I have never had a problem in over 5 years, but I use a custom made sump filter that could handle a well stocked 200g...so, yes, you can overstock if you overfilter, but be aware of two things: overcrowding too much can cause stress, and for smaller fish, alot of the time they can get physically exhausted (and die) trying to fight currents that are too strong. For big fish, the more, the better, but keep the flow rates down for little guys.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
You really can't compare yourself to an LFS who stocks fish temporarily. Those fish don't live permanently in those tanks.

You also need to take into account the aggression factor. Regardless of what fish laffingbuddha has in his/her tank, the more fish you pack in there the greater the chance of stress and disease.

I'd advise against it
Roan

MrPpers

AC Members
Dec 14, 2005
2 Major things to keep in mind when overstocking a tank is fish compatibility and very frequent water changes (maybe daily) depending on how overstocked you are. No amount of filtration will remove the toxins that build up in our aquariums that we do not test for and can only be removed by water changes. Overstocking really depends on the amount of work you want to do maybe every day on your aquarium, overfiltration will never take the place of water changes.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Good point, MrPpers --

Further to what he said, I left out an oldie but a goodie: nitrates.

They can only be removed by water changes. So, the more fish you have, the more ammonia you have. The more ammonia, the more nitrites and the more nitrates. The more nitrates, the more water changes.

Extra filtering will do diddley-squat on nitrates.

Roan

laffingbuddha

We're all one
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention that I change 30-40g every week, and go through LOTS of water conditioner. There is absolutely nothing that can compensate for frequent water changes - a definite must for any healthy tank (no matter what size).

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
laffingbuddha said:
Yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention that I change 30-40g every week, and go through LOTS of water conditioner. There is absolutely nothing that can compensate for frequent water changes - a definite must for any healthy tank (no matter what size).
Hey, if you are willing to do the work and keep on top of it, more power to you ;)

Just not something I'd advise anyone else to do, because most people can't handle the consequences.

Roan

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Also, remember that no matter how much filtration you add, you are not getting more space for the fish to move around.

laffingbuddha

We're all one
Jan 15, 2006
Amen to giving the fish enough space. My tank (besides fish) is almost empty. I've got a rock pile in the middle of the tank and some driftwood pieces here and there, but big fish need lots of room to swim. Silver Arowanas are notorious for outgrowing tanks FAST and, sadly, too many grow up w/o enough room. People think these huge fish stay near the top of the water all the time and this is not true. Yes, a lot of Arowanas you see just float in one place at the top, but happy, healthy Arowanas are constant swimmers and too many suffer from bad muscle growth because an overcrowded or undersized tank does not allow them enough free-swim room. Award winning Koi keepers will tell you one of the most important things is to have a pond that's very deep. Giving big fish the ability to swim up and down, as well as back and forth, exersises different muscles and is VERY beneficial to overall health.
When my Arowana sees me, he stays at the top, waiting for food, but if I sneak into the room on him, he'll be all over the place (even skimming the gravel).
Just a tip: Most people put plants and other decor on either end of the tank to hide filter tubes or heaters, but I've found, especially with bigger fish, that putting obstacles in the middle, instead, gives them more room to swim side to side, and kind of acts as a natural divider, letting fish escape to the other side if necessary. My Arowana swims FAST when chasing feeders, and it's great to let him swim the full width of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store