I'm feeling confused/defeated...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I like the idea of an Asain theme tank. You could do a trio (1m:2f) pearl gouramis, then a school of glass/ ghost catfish and then a group of kuhli loaches like you mentioned in another thread.

PS: Getting your first "real" tank is always exciting and at the same time very stressful. I found that it is easy to get over-whelmed with the different options and opinions out there. It also doesn't help when you see fish that you like but might not work together. Just hang in there. After you get the first fish in there it will be much easier because it cuts down on the options and makes it easier to focus on the fish that will work with them. Good luck and just have fun with it.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I didnt think I was complaining either... and user_name has been very helpful and friendly to me thus far. perhaps he is just sick of listening to me voice my confusion.. lol...
sorry, I was just being grumpy from RL issues. :OT:

Anyways, I'm rereading through the thread now to see if you mentioned any new species, but why not boseman rainbows? They would work with ghost catfish and are beautiful fish. Discus definitely need 82 + for a temp so most fish are out of the equation.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I also want to get 2 dwarf frogs. I plan on taking my 2 nephews to pick one each, that they keep in my tank with my betta. Id love to get the boys interested in aquariums and such.
For the 55 or for your 10? I had to move mine out of the 55 because they couldn't get any food. I would provide lots of cover for them, because mine tend to be shy around other fish. Bettas are nice fish for a 10 gallon. I personally keep endler's livebearers and honey gouramis (along with shrimp and frogs) in my 10 set-ups.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Anyways, I'm rereading through the thread now to see if you mentioned any new species, but why not boseman rainbows? They would work with ghost catfish and are beautiful fish. Discus definitely need 82 + for a temp so most fish are out of the equation.
Bows, while nice to look at, don't seem to have the interactive personality like angels & gourami. Besides, I think she's fallen for gourami pretty hard. :D

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
For the 55 or for your 10? I had to move mine out of the 55 because they couldn't get any food. I would provide lots of cover for them, because mine tend to be shy around other fish. Bettas are nice fish for a 10 gallon. I personally keep endler's livebearers and honey gouramis (along with shrimp and frogs) in my 10 set-ups.
The 2 ADFs are for the 10g with a betta. Should be a nice match, as long as the betta tolerates them in his territory. Lots of cover should help.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Bows, while nice to look at, don't seem to have the interactive personality like angels & gourami. Besides, I think she's fallen for gourami pretty hard. :D
I would agree on the personality. I love my male honey gourami, the little guy reminds me of my old Jack Dempsey.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Fishycat, I just saw the pics of V. what a beautiful fish! I have had such bad luck with my Bettas in the last few weeks. I was following petcetra advise and keeping them in 3lt betta tanks, and they were all dying. Now Im hesitant to get another when my 10 gallon tank finishes cycling, because Im afraid it will die. they are so pretty and by far my favorite fish.
Jiddle, no worries about getting a new betta for your 10g. Bettas are really quite hardy and survive all sorts of abuse that would kill other fish outright. Unfortunately, that means they are frequently not well cared for at stores and can be in bad shape when purchased. Also, you got bad advice. It's quite difficult to maintain water quality in a really small tank — and I bet the store never told you about cycling, did they? Now that you know more, and are setting up your tank properly, you'll end up with a very happy, healthy betta.

And two ADFs, if all goes as planned! :D

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
What I've found is that, almost without fail, for every piece of advice you get about fish, you will get another piece of advice that conflicts with the first.

AMEN AMEN :thm:

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
sorry, I was just being grumpy from RL issues. :OT:

Ya Im pretty much ruiling out the discus at this point..... But, perhaps when I get more skilled at this, I will down the road start up a really big aquarium, and try out just a discus tank.. because they really are quite beautiful! The ADF are for the 10 gallon... with one betta... but not until the tank is fully cycled. I cant handle losing another fish. Its heart breaking, and riddles me with guilt. And youre forgiven. I hope things look up in RL for you. :)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
And youre forgiven. I hope things look up in RL for you. :)
thanks, I'm just not in the greatest of moods after stubbing my toe. (completely fractured it :cry: )

Anyways, IMHO discus look best in larger tanks, and they would make better fish for the more experienced because of their water requirements. Good luck with the betta set-up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store