I'm feeling confused/defeated...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Err...dwarf gourami, I'm afraid, Colisa lalia.

If you get them, be very careful. Dwarf gourami disease is rampant, is an iridovirus that spreads amongs other dwarf gouramis (so it won't infect other species of fish) and because it is a virus, is incurable.

The manmade strains such as those, are the most susceptible. Thick lipped or giant (Colisa fasciata) are two wild strains that are not susceptible, to the best of my knowledge.

Try Googling trichogaster gourami and you'll see the NON-DWARF gouramis I mean - such as pearl and moonlight :)

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
Small word of caution... Males can be very aggressive. Mixing the two species may or may not work, but I'd be worried about two males fighting.

Edit: Whoops - I'm referring to the pearl & moonlight gouramis. Late post :)
fishycat, what type of fish are you speaking of??

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
fishycat, what type of fish are you speaking of??
Sorry I took too long to post - I was referring to your post about pearl & moonligt gourami.

Trichogaster microlepis is the moonlight.
Trichogaster leeri is the pearl gourami.

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
I'm still considering getting some ghost catfish for the 29 gallon that I've still got in the planning stages. Maybe with some celestial pearl danios, possibly pearl gouramis. I think they're very neat fish.
So, just to be clear....

a pearl and 2 moonlight gouramis, a group of about 7 - 10 ghost catfish, ARE compatible, and would do fine in a 55 gallon tank??

As well, as I should consider getting a loach of some type, a zebra, or a yo-yo for the alge?...

now.. my question is.... are those fish compatible with say, a single red tail shark, or maybe a few small catfish, or some other type of shark??

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
Sorry I took too long to post - I was referring to your post about pearl & moonligt gourami.

Trichogaster microlepis is the moonlight.
Trichogaster leeri is the pearl gourami.
The 2 moonlight, and the 1 pearl, were in the same tank together at the store.. and the 2 moonlight seemed to be swimming together, and sorta picking on the 3rd moonlight that was in the tank.
The pearl kinda kept to itself and picked at the plants and such. Would he want/need a tank mate of his own kind?? He was the largest of all the gouramis in the tank, but not at all a "large" fish

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
I'm still considering getting some ghost catfish for the 29 gallon that I've still got in the planning stages. Maybe with some celestial pearl danios, possibly pearl gouramis. I think they're very neat fish.
they are beautiful in their own right. I really quite like them. Even their personalities are different from other fish Ive seen. im definately going to get some.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
The 2 moonlight, and the 1 pearl, were in the same tank together at the store.. and the 2 moonlight seemed to be swimming together, and sorta picking on the 3rd moonlight that was in the tank.
The pearl kinda kept to itself and picked at the plants and such. Would he want/need a tank mate of his own kind?? He was the largest of all the gouramis in the tank, but not at all a "large" fish
But these "moonlight" gourami you saw were the ones you posted a pic of? That is very much not a moonlight - they're silvery colored.

Pearls are peaceful & can be shy. They do not need others, but it's recommended that if you are going to have more than one you should get a mix of 1m/2f.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Jiddle, as your friend, and someone who knows a decent amount about fish, this is my vote...

55-gallon

2 angel fish
7 ghost glass cats
2 albino bristlenose plecos
6 kuhli loaches
2 moonlight gouramis

10-gallon

1 male betta
2 dwarf aquatic frogs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com