I'm going to set it back up again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Picture time.

It's starting to start to look better. I didn't like the look of the sand. It was also proving to be a pain with water changes. So I tossed on some gravel on top of it.

The background is temporary and will be replaced with a solid black one once the plants are more established. The wife objects to a black one until then. This is the old one that I had on the goldfish tank.

IMG_0598.JPG

On the right side is one of the swords that I had in there earlier. It's pretty straggly now but its bloomed and produced plants in there before.
IMG_0599.JPG

The log is pretty funny looking but is still producing bubbles as it slowly submerges. It's getting pretty close to staying down. Sometime in the next six months I imagine it will stay down.

IMG_0603.JPG

Here's the C. tropica in the center. I really like the variation of leaf color in this plant. As the plants are getting established the brown algae is a problem but it's decreasing. I'll do a water change and scrub stuff off today and there will be less next week as the plants out compete the algae.

IMG_0604.JPG

Then I decided since I haven't lost any fish in the QT tank they were in in two weeks and they come from a trusted LFS I tossed these guy's in... LF pearl & Zebra Danio's. They are very happy.

IMG_0609.jpg

I also tossed in a little Long-fin albino BN pleco with them. He's only about 1.5 inches long now but he's in love with the log. Cleaned off a chunk of the brown algae that I let grow on the log for him last night. He's hiding somewhere right now sleeping off his big meal.

I've also found out that I managed to import some pond snails into the tank. They do a pretty good job on the algae so I'm not that heartbroken. If I every want to get rid of them I can toss in some loaches.

IMG_0604.JPG IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0603.JPG IMG_0609.jpg

Last edited:

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
We'll it's been about a month and it's starting to settle in nicely.

IMG_0974.JPG

The log kind of got left this way after a water change and I think that I will leave it in place.

IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0977.jpg

The swords have been adding in around 1-3 leaves per week and are looking really well established.

IMG_0976.jpg

The crypts are growing even faster and I've been able to divide them out. I've got around 40 from the original 10.

IMG_0980.jpg

The brown algae is reducing and the water is pretty clear.

IMG_0982.jpg

This guy and 3 other standard BN have got the algae under control. I've also got some pond snails & MTS going at it. I think I might need to add in some assassin snails in a few months to control the pond snails.

IMG_0979.jpg

The little Chinese knockoff of the C-360 is working pretty well. It's got a UV light built in and it seems to be effective.

IMG_0983.jpg

These guys have another 7 days at 85F in a salt bath until they go into the main tank. (7 Dwarf Gouramies and 20 neons). I saw 3 little spots of ich on them after 2 days of QT.

IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0976.jpg IMG_0974.JPG IMG_0980.jpg IMG_0982.jpg IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0977.jpg IMG_0979.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Tank looks really nice and I love the gourami's:) So much room to have some nice schooling fish are you getting Rainbows? I'd get a school of dwarf chain loaches, love those guys. Good luck looks super.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I cannot wait 7 days to see the gouramis and neons in that tank. PUT DEM IN NAO! :D I love the driftwood BTW, it's definitly one of my favorite pieces in the tank, fish excluded.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
So much room to have some nice schooling fish are you getting Rainbows? I'd get a school of dwarf chain loaches, love those guys.
I was waiting on the rainbows until after the plants got more established. From what I understand they grow and show the best color with a lot of plants. This was the same reason I'm holding off on getting the German Rams. The goal is to set up a low maintenance tank that looks good over the long haul.

The dwarf chain loaches are interesting. At only 2.5" they'll fit into my tank. They'll also do a number on the snails that hitched along with the plants. I just don't know if they will be happy with my gravel substrate. I might stick with Assasin snails as my agent of snail population control.

I'm considering getting some Val's to put in the back the left side and some Anubus to tie to the log. I could also go with a few stem plants to give me some texture and height.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Here are some picture updates of the tank.

IMG_1048.jpg

The crypts in the foreground are really starting to fill in

IMG_1040.jpg

Whole tank shot. I've left the log in the position it ended up at. People visiting my house all like the layout as well.

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

Got a few Val's in the back and expected them to melt back and take some time to get established. nope... no melting and they are taking off like crazy.

IMG_1046.jpg

I started to get some holes in swords and some the crypts. Guess I was getting short in Potassium or Calcium (snails shell were looking thin). So I've upped my dosage and the new growth looks better.

IMG_1047.jpg

I'm starting the get the carpet of crypts that I was going for. I've been able to successfully split out the new shoots from the parents. Now instead of the 10 plants I started with I have over 40 and more coming.

IMG_1048.jpg IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1042.jpg IMG_1043.jpg IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1047.jpg

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
I was waiting on the rainbows until after the plants got more established. From what I understand they grow and show the best color with a lot of plants. This was the same reason I'm holding off on getting the German Rams. The goal is to set up a low maintenance tank that looks good over the long haul.

The dwarf chain loaches are interesting. At only 2.5" they'll fit into my tank. They'll also do a number on the snails that hitched along with the plants. I just don't know if they will be happy with my gravel substrate. I might stick with Assasin snails as my agent of snail population control.

I'm considering getting some Val's to put in the back the left side and some Anubus to tie to the log. I could also go with a few stem plants to give me some texture and height.
I own 10 of the Sidthimunki's aka Dwarf Chain loaches, And 2.5 inches is on the larger side even. They stay very small need to be in groups of at least 5-6 and they need a very soft/fine substrate. Your gravel will be to coarse for them. They do go after some snails, They arent full on all the time. Sometimes they will just scavenge the substrate looking for food, They also like to bury themselves and dig a little, thus the need for soft substrate as like loaches are scaleless. My guys do a pretty fair job of getting snails. They arent a work crew by any means. Also just remember that if you get assassin snails they will also go after the MTS and they are very aggressive about going after ALL snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store