Introduction / 125 Gallon Terrarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Just goes to show that with a little pressure a great mind can come up with a creative solution.
I take it that you may be familiar with the convoluted story behind how We ended up with a small tank in a large tank?

I hope you have enjoyed the build. Maybe you can use some of the ideas here to develop yuor own.

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes,

Wes

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
looking great.
Thank for that.

Keep up with the 10 Gallon enclosed Aquarium build here. Of course that means almost duel posts to keep everyone up to date that may not wish to see both threads.

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes,
Wes

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Ok something new...

So, I have this driftwood root and I want it to sink but it refuses after boiling and the like and it has been months... so what to do.

Many people concede with just get a large piece of rock (usually slate) drilling a hole or two and Bob's your Uncle ... Not me.

I gotta plow my own row so to speak...

I go get some brass (it wont corrode). Enough to rig a Navy ship. Polish it up nice and pretty (to get the grease and such off) It would make any sailor proud.

The idea here is to thread washers on a small screw and affix them to the root cover them with color exanding foam (similar to the way the background was made) to otherwise camoflaugaue the brass to look like more of the root.

here are some pre camo pix. The large washers are about 2 inches with a 1/2 inch hole the screw is stainless steel.

Polished brass nice and pretty. 1 SS Screw, 3 Small Brass Washers, 15 Large Brass Washers. For My Driftwood Root I will use three of these assemblis.

This is generally how they will be affixed to the Driftwood root in three locations.

Gorilla Glue will be applied between the layers of washers and black silicon will fill the cavity of the large washers to prevent dead space where water may collect and become stagnat.

Thank for looking.

Best wishes,
Wes

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
On with the root build...

What lies ahead will take two weeks to wait and see.

But in the mean time here are some pix for all of you to dissect.

Trial Fitting Parts is always a Good Idea before gluing.

Another view of the trial fit.

Using Gorilla Glue, begin layering and gluing each washer. I started with the small ones because that's what will keep the screw from going through the hole of the large washers.

Continue gluing the large washers in place.

Once all the brass is glued up, fill the hole with black silicon adhesive (100% silicon).

Fasten the assembly to the driftwood root. And repeat for remaining hardware pieces.

These are some shots a few hours later. It will be about two weeks before I can begin to finish the color coat process which uses a two-part expanding foam like the background and pigments.

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes,
Wes

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
sorry, i havnt read the whole thing, but im not understanding why the 10 gallon is in there?

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
sorry, i havnt read the whole thing, but im not understanding why the 10 gallon is in there?
For Some reasons stated earlier that I have no control over; and just to be different.

Best wishes,
Wes

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
so will the aquarium being in their have any affect on what is going in there such as humidity/interaction or is it just for the hell of it?

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
so will the aquarium being in their have any affect on what is going in there such as humidity/interaction or is it just for the hell of it?
Austin ... as you have put it you have not read the whole thing ... not even the first page ... some of this may have been answered.

But to answer the question as to the humidity .. it does keep it quite humid in the 125 even with a modified cover on the 10 Gaoon Aquarium inside. Some days as I aircondition my small apartment the glass fogs. I guess I need an AP for that too. :)

BTW: watch the $(*^@ children are reading this!!!!

Best wishes,
Wes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store