Is my 37 g planted tank overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Someone said i should rehome all of my fish[and start all over] , I can't do that, nowhere to take them, Petco won't take the fish nor will Petsmart. If i take out the other fish like my guppies, neons , swordtails, a few catfish, and leave the angels, gourmai, shark and pleco in there, thats one boring tank. My dad's tank is boring, its 72 gallons and he has 4 angelfish that for some reason stopped growing, they are smaller then my small angelfish.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Okay you need to give some fish to ur dad. And you need to get a XP1 Canister filter ontop of your filtration already. It sits underneath the tank so space isnt an issue. If your going to overstock you need over filtration. Always my rule.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
The tank is very overstocked, not only by any rules used to govern stocking but just by your picture the fish are all over the place there isnt any free swimming room. Some fish when raised in these bad conditions can adapt to survive them, NEVER thrive in them. Your fish are surviving for now but make no mistake they are not happy, and your pleco has been seriously stunted no common pleco will cap out at 7" normally and it wont live a long life like a healthy pleco. Maybe your dads angels are different than yours and dont grow as much? Or maybe prior to coming to him they spent a long time in a cramped tank like yours that stunted them for later growth there is no telling but his certainly are not stunted in the 72 gallon tank, while his tank is understocked and im sure is really nice yours is too overstocked. I assume since your still living with your dad (and he has a bigger tank lol) that you are younger, it seems that many times younger or less experienced/educated people think that a severely overstocked tank is more "interesting." There are multiple threads on here about members friends who got a new tank and stocked it similarly (not in fish types but stocking level) to yours because they dont know how a tank and fish should be cared for. Maybe a good site that could maybe give you an indication of how overstocked you are is aqua advisor. I put in all of your fish but EXCLUDED the 20 swordtails into the program (not perfect but a good guideline) and your stocking is 363%... Idk if this will pull it up or not but :
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....200911161252:,1:200909300239:,2:200912011163:

this is what it says in its general caution section: "Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 20%.
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!"

Just trying to get you to realize how overstocked that is... GL

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
So it's established that the tank is overstocked, correct?

Now you need to figure out a way to get some of them rehomed. The pleco and all those swords are the most glaring issues.

Are you in an area with a local fish club? Where is the nearest store that takes in fish? Can your dad take some for his tank?

Posting an ad here on AC would also be a good start.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Twenty minutes away is not far, surely your parents will be traveling in that direction some time soon?? And you mentioned having fin rot in the tank, that is likely a result of poor water quality. I'm not really sure what you are hoping for in this thread. People are explaining that you are overstocked, but you argue that you aren't/have no way of reducing the stock. Of course you don't have to get rid of ALL the fish and start all over as you stated, just reduce the number of fish significantly. If you don't they will eventually die. Take several to your nearest LFS, or try Craigslist or Freecycle and give them away.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have to call the petstore to see if they will take the swordtails, but as for the pleco, he can't fit in a the bags I got from petco. Would the Pleco be ok in a outdoor pond with goldfish or should I find a new home for him? He's the only fish that grew bigger, last time I checked he was 7 inches, but now I think he's close to 9. the only fish in the tank with fin rot is my swrdtail fry, will only one has it.

I noticed something weird about one of my neons, it's head is slightly facing up and the gills flared, and he can't seem to stop moving. I did have these guys for about 3 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store