Is my 37 g planted tank overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
but as for the pleco, he can't fit in a the bags I got from petco
Use an ice cream bucket. Just make sure you rinse it out really well.

I noticed something weird about one of my neons, it's head is slightly facing up and the gills flared, and he can't seem to stop moving
Stress and poor water quality due to overstocking will cause fish to get ill. Either your fibbing about the fin rot being only on one fry, or you are extremely lucky. However, luck doesnt last forever and if you dont drastically change your tank's situation soon, your luck is likely to run out.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Well some of the fry are going to my aunt either at some point this week or next, when ever she gets a new filter for her tank at her school. As soon as the fin rot clears up I'm going to do a 25-30% water change for the tank, to rid of the fungus meds. I just hope the water change will help a bit.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I had fish since I was 6, I'm not new at taking care of fish. You are mistaken about me being a newbie.
Hey, I tried to be nice. If you're not a newbie then you're doing a terrible job either way. Your fish are stunted and are probably screaming for help.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Bottom line is you asked if your tank was overstocked and several members told you yes even without the swordtail fry in the tank you are overstocked. I even told you that I have a 36 gallon corner bow and at the very most I have 24-25 fish at the very most in that tank taking into account the size they would grow when mature. If you don't know your water parameters that means testing for ammonia, nitrite,nitrate and ph. How can you possibly know if the tank environment for your fish is healthy. If you are not a newbie then you should know better and if you don't and members are trying to help you with a question that you posted either take the helpful advise that is offerred or don't post a question.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
You shouldn't get fin rot on ANY of them. That is a huge tip off that you have really horrible water quality. You absolutely need to get a water test kit even if you feel like you can not afford it. I imagine your nitrates are through the roof. Only way to fix is cleaning you're gravel and more frequent water changes. The serious over stocking issues are a large part of the problem. Clean water would probably heal them up quicker than your meds.

But let me guess.... you don't have time for that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

amyjod2

AC Members
Feb 14, 2008
I have a question...You asked if your tank was overstocked It is clear that you have received a load of confirmation that the tank is overstocked. ...my question is what are you looking for as help from this forum? Are you just asking to confirm what you already know or is there something else that you would like more clarification. Fin rot on fish is not normal and the key is to prevent this from occurring. On one hand you are asking about overstock, on the other hand you realize your fish have fin rot. Now with all the information you have received, is your tank overstocked?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store