Is my Swordtail sterile?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspring89

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2019
Hi, I have had 2 pineapple swordtails for about a year now and my female has never had any fry! I have seen them mate multiple times but nothing ever comes of it. My female is really big and sometimes aggressive, especially during feeding but the pair get along fine. My females belly gets really big as if shes carrying fry but she never delivers and it usually goes down after a big long poop.. Is it possible one of them is sterile or had fertility issues? My seller tells me they constantly breed but I'm curious why they've never had any fry? I suspect my female has digestive issues but could that influence reproduction? I also used to have 2 females with this male and anytime the male would try mating with the other female the large female would get extremely aggressive and territorial over the male and chase her off before they could do the act.. I worry if I get another female she will do the same and terrorise her and there will be no peace between them and the result again will be no fry... Anyone have any insight or hypothesis on the issue?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, IME with live bearers unless you're actually watching you may not see fry. Either parent is very apt to eat newborns or any fry. It's not unusual for a female to expel a fry & turn around & eat it.

Do you have lots of plants (real or fake) for any fry to hide in?

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For sure on proper plants/decor being needed.

Or try one of those marina hang-on breeder boxes. Plop the mom in it when you think she's close to giving birth. They have a V-shaped removable baffle in the bottom with slots cut into it that allow fry to drop to the bottom away from the mom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store