is this brand a good food source for my plec and loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
And the difference between "fish meal" vs "fish protein" would be? I'm not knocking Omega One or NLS, but why do you think they're better based on the way they print their label?
Here is your answer

Fish meal as produced throughout the world is a very cheap potential Fish Protein Concentrate (FPC), but it is not intended for human consumption; it is used for making pig and poultry feeds for farming. Ordinary fish meal is unsuitable for human consumption for three main reasons:
1. It is not normally made under sufficiently hygienic conditions to rule out the risk of occasional contamination by disease-causing bacteria.
2. It usually contains rancid fat which destroys certain vitamins and may lower the nutritive value of the protein; a fish meal diet might precipitate vitamin deficiency in poorly nourished people. Moreover the flavour of the rancid fat is unacceptable in many societies, though not in all.
3. There is a slight risk that the rancid fat may have a cumulative toxic effect if consumed over a long period.
The first of these reasons is the most important; thus fish meal made under hygienic conditions is called FPC type C.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Mmmm, rancid fat. Another reason to throw out old fish food after 6 months, less nutritious & less tasty. Jumbo containers are not always a bargain.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Informative answer, but how do you know what actually goes into any given brand of fish food? Considering what kinds of crap is put into food for human consumption (even with the FDA supposedly watching and regulating things) I'm somewhat skeptical that fish food manufacturers are any different. I have no doubts that some brands are better than others, but probably not by much.

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
To drift back to the OP's question... One of the big things I look at in an algae wafer is the bulking medium. A lot of companies use wood ash to increase volume and give the wafer some structure when it's pressed. Nothing inherently wrong in wood ash, I just prefer not to put something quite so acidic in my tanks. The only wafer I've found with zero wood ash is wardley wafer. My plecs like it, but their line of shrimp pellet falls apart too fast. Check out the ingredients on your package. I've seen that brand here and there, but never really examined it closely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store