It’s not a fish but...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My only experiences with salamanders is finding in our swimming pools. In MA we had red sided 1s I think . In CA we have very short legged 1s, I forget what they are. I had to rescue them before the chlorine got them in breeding season. We learned our local fauna from what fell into the MA pool. Thank goodness they're less in CA...or smarter.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
My only experiences with salamanders is finding in our swimming pools. In MA we had red sided 1s I think . In CA we have very short legged 1s, I forget what they are. I had to rescue them before the chlorine got them in breeding season. We learned our local fauna from what fell into the MA pool. Thank goodness they're less in CA...or smarter.
I’m not familiar with the red sided ones, I know these guys live from MA to Florida and as Far East as Missouri. I know the ones in CA you’re talking about, I’m from San Diego and I used to catch those as kid under rocks and bricks, unfortunately I drowned a few before I leaned the difference between salamanders and newts...oops

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Wyoming has a dearth of herps and interesting inverts. Most of the herps are small, and only two are venomous. The midget faded rattlesnake has an extremely small range in the south central part of the state and is actually one of the most venomous snakes in the U.S., but it doesn't inject much venom so is generally considered dangerous primarily toward folks who have an underlying condition. The northern scorpion, black widow and hobo spider are the only inverts that can be dangerous to humans.

Tiger salamanders are the only salamanders that live in Wyoming. I've always liked amphibians, but Wyoming got the short end of the stick when it comes to them.

Very short legs sounds like a lungless or worm salamander of some kind. If I remember right, California has the most number of salamander species of any state in the lower 48. Of course, not all live in the same place. It's sometimes referred to as the "Land of the Salamanders" by herp hobbyists, especially those who focus on salamanders. I only know this because I've been looking into some of the more exotic salamanders and frogs for a few of my tanks. And snakes, too. My wife and I had a deal. Nothing venomous until the kids grew up, and we're empty nesters, so guess what? :D I won't be sharing any of that on the forum, though.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm pretty sure my very short legged salamanders (or newts? I've forgotten the difference) are not venomous...someone told me what they are years ago. But not too far away in Berkeley Gardens they have 2 species of big venomous 1s (cool!). But I'm glad I don't have them in my CA swimming pool, lol. I'm happy most of our frogs & little mammals don't do the big pool dive like their MA cousins did. My job was to remove them before my husband got home from work so he could swim before dinner (also my job, lol).

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I'm pretty sure my very short legged salamanders (or newts? I've forgotten the difference) are not venomous...someone told me what they are years ago. But not too far away in Berkeley Gardens they have 2 species of big venomous 1s (cool!). But I'm glad I don't have them in my CA swimming pool, lol. I'm happy most of our frogs & little mammals don't do the big pool dive like their MA cousins did. My job was to remove them before my husband got home from work so he could swim before dinner (also my job, lol).
Oh, I'm sure they're not. I think some salamanders are poisonous, but I don't think any species anywhere is venomous. The comments about venomous critters were related to earlier posts in the thread.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, I'm not sure of the difference between venomous & other (poisonous? toxic?) amphibians. But I don't want to make close contact with any "critters". If I can scoop them out of the pool & put them in the leaf litter away from my house I'm good with that...& good luck to them. My short legged 1s are safe & fairly sturdy in chlorinated pool water if we get them out in time...We try...

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Wyoming has a dearth of herps and interesting inverts. Most of the herps are small, and only two are venomous. The midget faded rattlesnake has an extremely small range in the south central part of the state and is actually one of the most venomous snakes in the U.S., but it doesn't inject much venom so is generally considered dangerous primarily toward folks who have an underlying condition. The northern scorpion, black widow and hobo spider are the only inverts that can be dangerous to humans.

Tiger salamanders are the only salamanders that live in Wyoming. I've always liked amphibians, but Wyoming got the short end of the stick when it comes to them.

Very short legs sounds like a lungless or worm salamander of some kind. If I remember right, California has the most number of salamander species of any state in the lower 48. Of course, not all live in the same place. It's sometimes referred to as the "Land of the Salamanders" by herp hobbyists, especially those who focus on salamanders. I only know this because I've been looking into some of the more exotic salamanders and frogs for a few of my tanks. And snakes, too. My wife and I had a deal. Nothing venomous until the kids grew up, and we're empty nesters, so guess what? :D I won't be sharing any of that on the forum, though.

WYite
Sounds like the salamanders I used to catch in CA, they were around 2” and had extremely tiny legs and were sorta red-ish. I used to go collecting a lot and caught all kinds of cool herps. Can’t remember the name of everything since I’ve been out the hobby for about 10 years but I remember catching lots of tree frogs of different types, the salamanders, alligator lizards, collard lizards, chuckwallas, fringe toed lizards, desert iguanas some really big toads, lots of various snakes like gophers, garters, kings, some type of tiny insect eating snake, even had a tub full of tadpoles that turned into toads that were gray with red spots. But most of the collecting was done when I was kid 35 years ago, but that’s what got me into fish. I never kept any venomous herps tho. My first job was actually for a big breeder of leopard and fat tailed geckos, day geckos, beardies, sand boas and corn snakes.
Im pretty sure newts are more aquatic and salamanders are more terrestrial and I believe some have the same type of poisonous glands like many frogs and toads

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
OK, I'm not sure of the difference between venomous & other (poisonous? toxic?) amphibians. But I don't want to make close contact with any "critters". If I can scoop them out of the pool & put them in the leaf litter away from my house I'm good with that...& good luck to them. My short legged 1s are safe & fairly sturdy in chlorinated pool water if we get them out in time...We try...
Venom is toxic when injected and poison is toxic when consumed.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks for the different terms, I "think" I get it now...

We have alligator & blue belly lizards too. I like the mellow blue bellies (western fence lizards) but the girthy alligator lizards that challege me at the front door are not my friends. We also, in winter, see sharp tailed snakes once in a while. I thought the first was a night crawler worm, lol.

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Thanks for the different terms, I "think" I get it now...

We have alligator & blue belly lizards too. I like the mellow blue bellies (western fence lizards) but the girthy alligator lizards that challege me at the front door are not my friends. We also, in winter, see sharp tailed snakes once in a while. I thought the first was a night crawler worm, lol.
Oh yes, I forgot about blue bellies and swifts, they’re everywhere in CA. Alligator lizards are just nasty, they’ll bite and scratch and if that doesn’t work they poop all over lol Sharp tailed snakes, that’s what the small insect eaters were , I forgot the name thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store