Jeffrey's "Little Man" -ADA 60-P

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Great job on the stand!

Stand got a whole lot better the other night....installed a little fluorescent fixture in it. The difference is like night and day....

...get it, you know, cause I put a light in it....so it's not dark any more....and it's dark at night....night and day...hehe :duh::duh::duh:

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Well, I took some shots. My photoshop seems to be corrupted, so, no decent editing for you [said in strong soup nazi accent]

Major plans for the scape include removing the stems behind the japonica as soon as the cycle is done and letting the HC fill in.

Got in my 2217. Man, is that thing a beast or what.

And I installed a light in the stand, so no more crawling around in the dark.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
2217 on a 60p? is your tank a whirlpool? Looks nice! I love that stump

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
2217 on a 60p? is your tank a whirlpool? Looks nice! I love that stump

I've got it running through an inline heater, uv sterilizer, inline probe. and inline co2 injection.....it slows it down a bit.

Despite all that, it's still some hefty flow. Not overwhelming, but possibly a bit much. Once I stuff it full of my normal amount of filter floss, it'll slow down to being just perfect.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
i would really get rid of this: uv sterilizer

is it for algae control? you really dont need it and it may do more harm than good.
Actually, it's quite the opposite. The myth that UV sterilizers can be harmful is spread around, but there's no truth to it. It mostly stems from a lack of understanding on what they do and how they work.

UV Sterilizer can do no harm.

They are great for algae control and dealing with water-borne parasites. Green Water, Bacteria Bloom, Ich...no worries if you have a UV. I also wouldn't ever have any high end fish without one. It'd be a shame to lose some Altums or Stendker Discus to a parasite that could have been killed off by a UV.

It's not a necessity in FW, but it's a great convenience. If you have the opportunity to pick one up cheap, you'll really appreciate it.

Last edited:

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I haven't tested any water in so long it's almost funny to pull out test kits, but this is the first tank I've started from scratch in a loooooong time, so I figured I ought to know where I'm at.

pH 5.55 (co2 induced down from 6.5 out of the tap)
NH3 2 ppm
NO2 0 ppm (yay!)
NO3 ~1 ppm
KH 3 deg
GH ~1-2 deg it's low, really low.
PO4 1 ppm

Getting close! I seed the filter pretty heavily from another filter that's running my "moving tank" downstairs (aka the Rubbermaid tub). Glad to see the nitrifying bacteria is doing its job.

I just upped my GH. My aromatica is melting pretty badly, and I think it's the low GH. I've always had problems with aromatica in really low GH.

I also added some Cuprisorb to the filter. My house has copper pipes. There's been some pretty serious discussion over the years on whether or not copper pipes leech significant amounts of copper, and the general consensus is not significant enough to effect freshwater species. However, I'm planning on putting some CRS in here, so rather than risk it, I just picked up some Cuprisorb since it's not too expensive and it's rechargeable.

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
That's a very nice setup. I bet it's a blast setting up two brand new tanks at nearly the same time!

Do you think that you will encounter any problems with such acidic water?

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
That's a very nice setup. I bet it's a blast setting up two brand new tanks at nearly the same time!

Do you think that you will encounter any problems with such acidic water?

It's slightly more acidic than I want, but I think two things are going on. Since I don't have any livestock in there, I have the co2 cranked up really high. Secondly, Aquasoil causes an inital pH drop that levels off after about 6 weeks. Once the AS stabilizes, and I actually measure my co2, the pH will rise.

Even still, I'd like it to end up somewhere around 5.9-6.0

I'm planning on keeping a bunch of blackwater fish in my 120g, so I'd love it if that one hung out around 5.5 once it gets set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store