Jewels....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
jewel related question:

at what size do they breed? i have 2 small 2" jewels not even sure if i have a pair. if i do, will they start spawning at 3"? 4"? definately dont want them to whack all the fish in the tank.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Originally posted by dbcb314
my jewel isnt really mean, definently not mean enough to be put with a jack. when most people say jewels are mean, they probably say this when they are breeding, not otherwise. when they breed, they are REALLY mean. ok otherwise

uhh good luck finding somethin to go with the jack in a 66.

severum- will not work. too docile, will be killed

firemouth- probably killed

acara- definently killed way too nice.

jewel- probably killed

I have to respectfully dis-agree here.

You guys way overrate the aggressiveness of Jacks. Especially a female. It isn't even a dominant male. Come on you guys can't be serious??? Makes me wonder if you have owned them or not???
You make them sound like an Umbee or dovii.

They are not that tough of a fish. I have had them in a tank with every single fish that you say will be "killed" by the big bad JD. BAH!!

Right now as I write this I have a Female JD in a 33 gallon with the following. Breeding pair of Rainbow cichlids, a hoplo catfish, 1 green tigerbarb, a female severum (temp inhabitant until I can return her to my work tank) and a couple of other small fish. Now this is a dominant female. The one I use to breed.

I have had and raised to adult over 100 JD's in the last 2 years with my breeding pair and not one of them with the exception of the father who is a badass but still is considered a rarity, has ever even come close to living up the hype you guys are giving them in this thread.

Right now in my work tank I have a cute little Jewel (4 inches)that is kicking the snot out of my big female JD (6 inches) they lock up daliy and the jewel holds her own no problem. They share the tank with a large male severum and and a large festivum.

I have had all of those fish (except the firemouth) that are on your killed list in the same tank as the breeding pair while they were nesting. Not one problem.

Jewels overall are tough little fish. They are not overly aggressive but will defend themselves and can hold there own with quite a few fish.

If you are looking for something to go with the JD in a 66. Here are some options for you. Keepin in mind size and the fact that you don't want the JD to be too terrorized:

A couple of Rainbow cichlids
A decent sized Severum (doesn't have to be huge)
Blue Acaras (2 would work)
Jewels ( 2 if you give them some cave to claim. They won't even bother with each other)
1 female chocolate (Hypselecara temporalis not the Hypselecara coryphaenoides) would work, they don't get that big and are more or less only mid range aggressiveness
A female nicaraguense. Again don't get too aggressive and the females colors are stunning
just about most of the dwarf pike species would work.

There are so many fish that will fit with your female.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
I agree with ScottoMacD. His comments seem particularly perceptive across a wide range of cichlid species. Particularly Jack Dempseys, which in my tanks have always been relatively quiet and respectful of their tankmates.

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
I also agree. I dont think the majority of jacks are as aggressive as most people think, not any of the ones Ive ever seen anyway.

Zeb

Ingredients: 90% water
Feb 6, 2002
Bozeman, MT
I don't see my jewels as really all that aggressive. They've killed dithers, but never even fight with each other or other cichlids.

As for your tank optix: I kept a JD with a con once, and he literally ripped him in half. But then again, my current JD is in with alot of other fish ( oscar, severum, firemouth, blue acara, silver dollars ) and never bothers anyone. I think alot of it has to do with individuality and most importantly, the situation they are housed in. With alot of defined territories, caves, and distractions.....one JD & a con in a 55 should work. But then will probably fight occassionaly.

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
Originally posted by Zeb

As for your tank optix: I kept a JD with a con once, and he literally ripped him in half. But then again, my current JD is in with alot of other fish ( oscar, severum, firemouth, blue acara, silver dollars ) and never bothers anyone. I think alot of it has to do with individuality and most importantly, the situation they are housed in. With alot of defined territories, caves, and distractions.....one JD & a con in a 55 should work. But then will probably fight occassionaly.

Sounds like you hold the same experience as I do Zeb. I kinda know what to expect with my setup which is why it wont be that way for long. I just wanted to stress the point that these fish do have a reputation. I know there are those that are docile. There are also those that are nasty. Thats the case with any fish, but it seems jacks and salvinis have a serious rep for finding one that is completely docile and then finding one that is horrible. Most others will be a tad less aggressive but never completely docile. Like a jag, you find me a jaguar thats docile and im a believer,,,,after I see it with my own eyes. oscars its the other way around, you will hardly ever find an oscar that is just completely billigerant. They will defend their territory but never just go around killing things just because it feels like it. I've seen jacks do that before. There is personality with all fish but it seems jacks and salvinis vary the worst.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store