Jumping in at the "deep end" of the pool

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
for books... i like TFH magazine honestly. it's the most up to date and is really cool to flip through! and wow... you do have a forest lol. i'm curious as to what this striped fish looks like! could you maybe get a pic of that one?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Just a word of warning, once the angels mature they will likely try to pair up. Once that happens you'll probably have to start removing some of them. A tank that size isn't fit for that many angels long term.

I've ran a second hand Penn Plax (may not have been the HEAT line though) and I wasn't impressed. However I've always used Stealths and I'm sure you can find plenty of people not too happy with those heaters.

I would also be interested in seeing pics of the other unIDed fish if you are able to do that.

satelliteoflove

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northwest Georgia
Real Name
Chris
Yeah the previous owner mentioned I might need to "thin the jungle" a bit lol. On the bright side, all those rooted plants kept the sediment from sloshing around and getting thrown into the water during the trip down 30+ stairs (on a 2-wheel hand truck), 35 miles across bumpy interstate roads and in-town driving, then into my dining room. It's a bit late tonight and the striped fish is a real hider so I doubt I'd get a shot of him tonight. I'll see if I can't get him to play ball tomorrow when the overhead lights are on and I'm changing the water.

satelliteoflove

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northwest Georgia
Real Name
Chris
Hmm...yeah the angels are already paired, actually. One of the males gives another one a fair bit of grief, that I have seen. About how many angels should be able to stay in a 45 gallon tank? How do you gauge that sort of thing, anyway?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
+1 on all advice given, and yes, i agree, that is an amazing looking tank;) and for other heater options
eheim or ebo jager work great, worth it in the long run, aqueon is good(they do break down quite often) but with lifetime guarantee it works out(I'd rather not, but that is the cheapest out there)

Welcome to AC!:) Looking good, the tank is;)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Ideally, you want 3-5 watts per gallon for a heater. 5 if the room is drafty, 3 if the room holds heat well. Heaters do NOT run up the water temps fast. It often takes 24 hrs for it to reach it's setting. Another thing to consider is 2 heaters vs 1. with 2 smaller heaters you can heat more evenly and if one goes out you still have the second one to limp by until you can replace it. Also should one of the two get stuck in the on position, it is likely you would notice long before it boiled your fish.

The tank is very good looking and you made one huge score! Congratulations.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Wow I cant believe no one wanted that tank! congrats on the setup, if you enjoy fish keeping this surely is a good place to start

satelliteoflove

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northwest Georgia
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm very excited to get started off in this hobby, and it seems that I've been given a catapult's worth of a head start. Come to find out I even have an eheim professional 2 pump that came with the rig, which I just need to figure out and get running. Woot! It turns out that the two smaller orange fish are indeed swordtails (male and female). Since the previous owner wasn't exactly sure what the striped one was called (tiger something), I have attached the best picture I could get of him this morning.
IMG_20120103_082758.jpg

The water temp was down to about 78F this morning which is still pretty reasonable considering how chilly it got last night (though my thermostat inside is set to 64F). I'm hoping a better heater will keep it stable at 79F without having the heater set full-tilt. I get the willies thinking about my current heater suddenly deciding to work properly.

IMG_20120103_082758.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store