Jumping in at the "deep end" of the pool

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The stripey fish is a clown loach. JMO, but not really suitable for a 45--they do best in groups and get 8-9 inches easily, bigger if given the chance. Great fish, just not really suited for smaller tanks. http://www.clownloachfish.com/

satelliteoflove

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northwest Georgia
Real Name
Chris
Hmm... I was afraid of that. I will probably try to find a home for him; I have no intention of upgrading to an even larger tank when I'm still so new to the hobby. I might try to find a home for 2 or 3 of the angels, as well. I'll have a better idea of what my options are when I talk to the LFS owner today. Thanks for the ID and info!

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
I don't think its a rush to re-home the clown loach -- they grow pretty slowly. Get your tank stabilized and then worry about what to do with this fish. If he's lived in there for this long, he'll be fine for a few months.

They are very social fish and I'm sure he/she would be happier to have some company, so if you can find someone that already has a few / a bunch, that would be ideal...

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
yup, striped fish is a clown loach. you'd probably see him a lot more often if you got him some friends, but as he will eventually outgrow your tank, finding someone else that can take him might be a good idea.

satelliteoflove

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northwest Georgia
Real Name
Chris
OK, so the test results are in. Ammonia levels in between 0 and 0.25 ppm (I'd guess about 0.15-0.20 by color), nitrite levels in between 0.25 and 0.50 ppm (I'd guess about 0.40), and nitrate levels at right about 30-40ppm. Not the best results I know, but considering the circumstances they could be worse. I went ahead and added more Stability as per instructions. The heat looks to be maintaining 78.5F, which while pretty much ideal still frustrates me because the house isn't that chilly and the heater is turned up full blast. That heater is going back to the store tomorrow for an exchange or refund; maybe the next one will do the job appropriately.

Fishes are still happy and eating well (just once today, instead of 2-3 times as previously). I checked the timing on my lights (they were way off), so I should now have a pretty good 10hr light cycle from 8am-6pm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store