jus got 3 dwarf puffers.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stefanie

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Maryland
Dwarf puffers are strictly fresh water and do not tolerate salt well at all. I am not sure if you could keep them in a 5G, and how many. I know they need 3G per fish, but I am unsure about the minimum tank size for 1 of them.

currcat

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
Storm Lake, Iowa
www.xanga.com
I dont know where you are getting your information Stefanie, but all of the research that I have done on Dwarf Puffers have mentioned the fact that they prefer brackish waters....not freshwater

I am not an expert, but that is what I have seen.....just so you know

ofarevolution31

da nite jus brings us back together
Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
thanks for all that info and the site. i will for sure to check it out. well i cant find one of my puffers so i will buy 2 more or something.... also im nto sure all what to feed them, so i hope they dont die. i want shrimp.. but can a shrimp go in FW??? or what else cool can? thanks alot

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Yo_Loach said:
Ive had an idea, I have three pigmy albino cories and 2 black tetras in my 5 gallon currently, say I were to transfer them to my 15 gallon, which I already have 2 ablino cories in, and I made my 5 brackish(if thats what they need), could I get a pair of dwarf puffers for my 5 gallon?

Currently my 5 doesnt have a heater, but they light is enough to warm it to a decent temperature my room is very tropical, PC and two fishtanks make it Hot.

I was wondering, if I could keep the cories in there though, they do a good job of the bottom cleaning. also, my gravel is about standard size does it need to be smaller or something?

PLEASE advice ....and I dont care if I'm hijacking this thread, the guy can use the advice too. lol. :hang:
Don't keep the dwarf puffers with the cory cats. They will nip at the cories until the cories die of stress. They do not make good tank mates. In fact, DP's should not be kept with any other fish at all. I would say the maximum number of DP's you can keep in a 5 gallon is two, and even then there might be problems. If you can, furnish the tank with plants (fake or real), and rocks or bogwood, so there are hiding places. Also, try to get females, as they are less aggressive than males. I think you can tell by a bony structure above the eyes in the males.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
ofarevolution31 said:
thanks for all that info and the site. i will for sure to check it out. well i cant find one of my puffers so i will buy 2 more or something.... also im nto sure all what to feed them, so i hope they dont die. i want shrimp.. but can a shrimp go in FW??? or what else cool can? thanks alot
Glass shrimp can do okay in FW I think.... I have some in with my dwarf puffers for a few weeks now and they're good. My LFS carries them as feeders.

Dwarf puffers need live or frozen food, go to a pet shop that has a refrigerator for fish food and pick up some bloodworms, and they also eat other foods too. I have mine on bloodworms and beefheart. My bigger puff gets crickets, shrimp, whatever.

ofarevolution31

da nite jus brings us back together
Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
um alright. well i feed them krill, frozen.. what other frozen foods would u reconmend?? they only get a inch big so i dont kno how u can feed them crickets. lol and also, he glass shrimp, what r they and how big do they get? thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store