Just picked up one little zebra shrimp, and there's 30+ fry in the bag, what to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Well, doesn't look like any of the fry made it. Stirred the substrate around and found the little buggers floating around, none alive. I have zero idea what the conditions of the tank they were hatched in were or the temp, salinity, PH, etc...oh well. Not even sure if they were cherry or tiger fry(they were white, could of even been ghost fry). The little Tiger is doing great though(as is the RCS). At least the fish I buy from him are always exactly as they look in resource photos, they're both **** pretty. Can't say much for the 'freebies'. There may be a few hiding around alive, but I doubt it.

fabsroman

AC Members
Sep 30, 2008
West Friendship, MD
I fail to understand the worry over the filter. I run a Penguin 100 on a 10 gallon tank and the RCS are all over the intake eating anything that builds on it. They then swim away when finished. I have also had the RCS in a 20 with a Whisper 30, unprotected intake tube, on full. I have never found a shrimp inside a filter yet!
Well, I have a Fluval 405 on a 29 gallon at about half power. One day I saw that the sponge had fallen off but the filter was still going. I took the filter apart and found around 100 RCS in it. So yeah, filters without sponges/nets on the intakes can cause a problem. Maybe not for you, but for some of us it is definitely a problem.

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
I use aquaclear sponges on most of my intakes. Even when not concerned for the inhabitants it makes a good prefilter, keeping plant debris and similar crud from the filter.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Yea, but how do you clean the sponge?

azolla

Invertafreak
Feb 26, 2010
Cape Cod, MA
I would not worry about the filter either. I have seen baby shrimps that have been sucked into an aquaclear 70 living happily off the detritous that accumulated under the sponge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store