Juvenile jaguar cichlid tank mate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
Excellent! I can't see them well in the picture, but that's always fun. A bit of advice. It may not be your ideal situation, but it may be best if you start keeping an eye out for the biggest and most active fry starting in a couple of weeks when they start putting some size on and then separating those into a grow out tank. The parents will eat remaining spawn when they're ready to breed again, or you can start now by netting some of the fry you're not keeping out and feed them to other fish before they get too large. Start searching now for a shop (or shops) to take them after they've grown, as well as for individual hobbyists who may be interested when some grow out. Get an idea for how many fry you'll be able to find homes for. Be ready to cull 95% of your spawn or more. In spite of their attractive color and personality, there typically is a limited demand for the large Central American cichlids due to their size and aggression. It's pretty easy to find takers for smaller, less aggressive species like those in the genera Thorichthys, Cryptoheros, Archocentrus, etc., but is a lot harder for species in genera such as Parachromis, Amphilophus, and others. You need to accept now that you'll probably cull 100% of most future spawns. It doesn't take long to flood the local market with large, aggressive cichlids.

WYite
Yes. Well noted on that. Shall definitely look out for a few of the largest in a couple of weeks, leave the rest with the parents & let nature takes it's course. Shall go back to the lfs if there are still survivors after a month. That would be better and more sensible than to just give them away, or keep them; as they likely won't be housed in a sufficiently suitable setup for a large cichlid.

Reactions: Wyomingite

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
I know this would be a silly question..but out of curiosity, would their aggression subside eventually when the fries are larger? The female recently flared up..and is currently just as aggressive as her mate. They now form a formidable tag team. ?

Last edited:

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I know this would be a silly question..but out of curiosity, would their aggression subside eventually when the fries are larger? The female recently flared up..and is currently just as aggressive as her mate. They now form a formidable tag team. ?
Probably not. Since you have a pair, if they don't have young to protect and care for they will more than likely continue to be nearly as aggressive because they'll be preparing for their next spawn.

WYite

Reactions: WarTank

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
Into their 3rd spawning now ?.. Wyomingite Wyomingite is absolutely right.. they seem to breed continuously. Things are getting out of hand right now.
I have a choice to make. To just leave it as it is.. Or move the female out of the pond, into a 48"x18" tank. IMG_20210523_162719~4.jpg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Into their 3rd spawning now ?.. Wyomingite Wyomingite is absolutely right.. they seem to breed continuously. Things are getting out of hand right now.
I have a choice to make. To just leave it as it is.. Or move the female out of the pond, into a 48"x18" tank. View attachment 229953
If you move the female to another tank, there's a possibility you'll break the pair bond, maybe a 50/50 chance. That may be optimistic. If that bond breaks, at best they'll never breed again if you put her back in the tank and at worst the male will not accept her back and attack her, maybe even kill her.

A much better idea is putting a divider (glass or eggcrate lighting diffuser) in the tank so the male and female are separated but can still see each other. They will also sense each others pheromones and stay familiar with each other. This will be less likely to break the pair bond and give you a break from the continuous breeding. Every so often remove the divider and let them spawn and everybody will be happy.

Another possibility is to keep them together and use the 48" x 18" for a culler fish. Something that will eat all the excess fry and dispose of them. My recommendation is an oscar. They'll eat anything. I always keep a culler, usually an oscar, to dispose of any extra fry. If you're not into oscars, another possibility would be something like one of the larger Hemichromis species (H. fasciatus or H. elongatus). One of the smaller Parachromis species (P. loisellei or P. friedrichsthalii) or a giraffe cichlid (Nimbochromis venustus), or any of the other Nimbochromis species for that matter, may also work. You'll find some argument about the suitability of a 48" x 18" tank for all of these, but IME a 75 or 90 gallon is adequate for a single individual of any of the previous species and I'll stand by my recommendation. The 12" SL (length from the nose to the base of the tail) size listed for these two Parachromis and the Nimbochromis species is a max, not an average. Most males of the two Parachromis species top out in the 11" to 12" range for total length (length including the tail) and most of the Nimbochromis top out in the 10" to 11" TL length range, if that. All in all, they're all about the same size as an oscar.

WYite

Reactions: WarTank

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
If you move the female to another tank, there's a possibility you'll break the pair bond, maybe a 50/50 chance. That may be optimistic. If that bond breaks, at best they'll never breed again if you put her back in the tank and at worst the male will not accept her back and attack her, maybe even kill her.

A much better idea is putting a divider (glass or eggcrate lighting diffuser) in the tank so the male and female are separated but can still see each other. They will also sense each others pheromones and stay familiar with each other. This will be less likely to break the pair bond and give you a break from the continuous breeding. Every so often remove the divider and let them spawn and everybody will be happy.

Another possibility is to keep them together and use the 48" x 18" for a culler fish. Something that will eat all the excess fry and dispose of them. My recommendation is an oscar. They'll eat anything. I always keep a culler, usually an oscar, to dispose of any extra fry. If you're not into oscars, another possibility would be something like one of the larger Hemichromis species (H. fasciatus or H. elongatus). One of the smaller Parachromis species (P. loisellei or P. friedrichsthalii) or a giraffe cichlid (Nimbochromis venustus), or any of the other Nimbochromis species for that matter, may also work. You'll find some argument about the suitability of a 48" x 18" tank for all of these, but IME a 75 or 90 gallon is adequate for a single individual of any of the previous species and I'll stand by my recommendation. The 12" SL (length from the nose to the base of the tail) size listed for these two Parachromis and the Nimbochromis species is a max, not an average. Most males of the two Parachromis species top out in the 11" to 12" range for total length (length including the tail) and most of the Nimbochromis top out in the 10" to 11" TL length range, if that. All in all, they're all about the same size as an oscar.

WYite
Wow. Very great advices.. all. An Oscar seems the most preferable to me. TQVM! ?

Reactions: Wyomingite
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store