Knifefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryknier

just tryin to make it fun
Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
I am too lazy to go through all of these pages here we have started, but I thought you mentioned once, that spook followed you finger on the outside of the glass... Could be me, but that would be cool if they can sense you outside the glass?

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Hey i would like to get an algae eater, my tank has been getting a little filthy on the sides, what is a good possibility with my connection?

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
ryknier said:
WHOO HOO I fed my BGK from the hand today!!!! Well not feed feed, but he took a worm!!!! I felt like a kid again!!! it was really awesome, to have him do that!!very very exciting moment! Patience, thats all I got to say!
Yea!!!!!! My blood parrot has just started taking from my hand in the last few days, I started with larger shreds of 'seaweed salad" and now give him smaller bits of tubifex for treats or earthworms. isnt it great when they learn to trust you?
- as for the algea eater- have you considered a bristle nose plec? very cool looking. (not an algea eater but also very cool - syndo cats!!!! pictus cats!!!!!) of course, those are just my ramblings....

Last edited:

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
Well, I'd suggest like Nuriel the bristlenose for a cleanup crew. I have a clown pleco, peckolita vittata, little guy abut 3 inches or so. He cleans up the driftwood at night. He didn't do much in the smaller tank, but I think he prefers the type of driftwood in the big tank, to the mopani that he had in the other tank.
Either one will work for you.

I rearranged my tank....again. Pulled out alot of the plants I used for algae control and I'm trying a new setup. I'm also thinking a bristlenose would be good now that I've pulled out alot of the fast growing plants.

I setup spook int the center of the tank just under the big driftewood, he found the spot and is nesting now, checking out the setup. I had to coax him from behind the filter intake where he likes to hang in the morning, so he'd find the new spot. It leaves me more space for plants and uses up some dead space under the driftwood where it tilts at an angle. The tank looks a mess now, but I'll get more plants of a nicer type.

I suggest you get yourself a bunch of hygrophilia diformis, (wisteria) Ryk, because it sure works wonders at using up the nutrients and starving the algae. I pulled mine out, gee I could have passed it on to you....lol Too bad. Anyway a few bunches of it should cost you about 6 to 9 dollars.

Last edited:

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
As far as over stocking, there shouldn't be a problem with adding them??

Swimfins

The good thing about the bristlenose and the bottom feeders is they stay there lol. This is space that is not taken up by your other fish. They are peaceable, and my 'Frumpy' just loves Spook. I say go ahead, there shouldn't be a problem. I know you have clown loaches, but this shouldn't e a prob. You have enough ground room for everyone. The plecos usually stake out a spot, and return to it in the morning, which leaves room for the day people(errrrrr fish) to circulate.

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Theres a post in General Freshwater, which i thouhgt would be a good one t bring up in here, I Feed my youneg-ens 2 times a day, morning noon and night, the BGK is growing slowly, which is expected my silver dollars are HUGE! Moon gouramis are 4 inches my clowns are about the same size, the green severum is probably twice to three times the size he is from when i first got him, and the gint danio is still swiming back and forth with no size difference.

Three times a day, or should I cut back?

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
How do you treat for ich with a BGK?

Swimfins

Ut-o Have you got ich?

Some tetras I bougt came down with ich. My pictus cat caught it and healed nicely. The rest were unaffected, although I saw some crystals on the neck area of one or both, my dojo loaches. My fish came thru ok, and Spook was unaffected, luckily.

However, I boosted the temp to 86, and added the salt as per davedka's article on ich. Check the articles corner.

I attribute the fact that my fish didn't come down with ich (which killed the poor tetras) because I use aquaplus as a dechlor. It contains aloe vera, and I'm convinced ich doesn't like a nice slimy coating of aloe on a fish. So goes my theory. Best of luck.

I feed 2x a day. Tubifex and flakes for the day people,in the morning, and bloodworms, brine shrimp and regular shrimp for the night people at night. I feed some with the light on so the rainbowfish get a few bites, then the rest after lights out. And an algae tab for Frumpy. :)

Last edited:

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
no I don;'t have ich, but I have a tank full of fry and making sure they dont have ich for the transfer and if I get a bristle nose got to do the Q-tank just getting ready for the possibility!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store