LED Lights Question / Thoughts / Opinions......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
All too often these lines of discussion, which would otherwise be useful and fun, end up sucking big time. A pitty.
No need and we can do better.
What sucked? It's nothing but some passionate aquaria conversation. No harm. No foul.

Reactions: Sprinkle

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
True, I guess. I can apologize too and hereby do it.
I simply thought too much 'you said' 'I didn't say' and less objective discussion. I could be mistaken and don't mind accepting so.
Thanks for responding. Cheers!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
CRI is a measurement of how our human eyes see light, it means Color Rendering Index & has nothing to do with how plants may grow, that's the real fact. I'm not sure why the loach is calling out dougall, he hasn't posted here...a CRI of 65k looks a bit yellowish, closer to 100 the light looks more harsh white. Fish may look better in a range depending on species & how anyone wants to see their fish. Many fish are not from "full noon sunlight". Many plants are fine at 27k but fish look strange (to my eye) in the purple-pink-ish range.

I have no opinion on LEDs, I don't use them (yet) but the "disco multi-colors" of some LEDs put me off, especially the surface reflections.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
No, you're wrong about CRI; it is a measurement of the "ability of a light source to reveal the colors of various objects faithfully in comparison with an ideal or natural light source." Plants have evolved on natural light, that's a fact, and grow very well when natural light is closely matched by artificial lighting, meaning high CRI lighting. Sunlight has a CRI of 100. Neither does a low CRI make it appear yellowish "The CRI of a light source does not indicate the apparent color of the light source; that information is given by the correlated color temperature (CCT). The CRI is determined by the light source's spectrum.".
I know you won't take my word for it, so these are wikipedia quotes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

Like I said, the discussion is not that you can grow most plants with about any lighting, providing it is bright enough. About 99% of aquarists fall in 2 groups, you have the ones that like pink/blue/multi colored carnival lighting and then the ones that want natural lighting. Next to nobody in the latter group wants to see their tank with low temperature, low CRI, yellow or greenish flat looking colors, when there are better options. I provided the OP how to get lighting which will grow plants great and look great at the same time, in the $20-$50 range (depending on which type of plants he wants)

Responses keep coming 'there are so many other/better options', do you have a better recommendation ? Great, post it, keep in mind, he wants cheaper lighting, not more expensive, and ' go to the hardware store buy the cheapest light, whatever' isn't great advice.

Last edited:

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The first link has some good information, though the example (a room lighted by 10k lights and a tank lighted by 2700k) is too extreme to have any value. Your understanding and statement about a CRI of 65 being yellow is still wrong. I understand "CRI doesn't have to do anything with plant growth" is close to what I already repeated several times in this topic "you can grow most plants with about any lighting" which includes low CRI household lights, now go and try to grow plants with a 25 CRI sodium light see if it still hasn't anything to do with plant growth. 2nd link didn't work...

• Sad
Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
CRI is a measurement of how our human eyes see light, it means Color Rendering Index & has nothing to do with how plants may grow, that's the real fact. I'm not sure why the loach is calling out dougall, he hasn't posted here...a CRI of 65k looks a bit yellowish, closer to 100 the light looks more harsh white.
I cans confirm! U knows how we get these spots from staring too much at sun? Yeh, i get that from staring directly at my led bulb but it does not mean it got CRI of 100 but certainly CRI of my bulb may be 90+. :V
Look at my profile pic, everything look betters and brighter but CRI had definitely absolutely nothing to do how well plants grow, it just makes better for our eye to see.
AND Foo The Flowerhorn mentions nothing bout CRI or IP, he says ANY light will work but to represent the natural light source you would certainly need 6500k & 10+watt light, especially with no filter (Walstad) fish tanks.

oh…dougall………… yea………… am guilty, i called, rather mentioned then called out,. I just said that dougall said that and that and the loach just kept hold of our poor dougall ;/

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Realize you all are trying to push a new member to get less quality, low CRI lighting because I didn't recommend the right brand, or maybe your resentment of me. Do you think that's a good thing?
He/she asked for specific recommendations, and I recommended excellent quality lighting, that I personally use, for about 1/3rd or 1/4th of the price that was quoted. I will personally guarantee he/she will be happy with plant growth and how it looks. Neither of you, including the flowerhorn, has personally tried or used lighting with these properties. There are 3 pages now trying to discredit quality lighting with the only other suggestion being offered "there's tons of shoplights', how is that a good recommendation for what was asked? The only valid argument you can have against it is that low CRI lighting is cheaper, sure, you could save $10 and get the cheap Led lights. But it's an aquarium, you look at it every day... I didn't recommend the cheapest but the best value for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store