Left heater on. Still good to use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Unless it's one of the old school thumb-screw mount heaters, they all say fully submersible and are designed as such.

I personally find they last longer with the dial-end kept out of the water and every heater I've had fail was kept fully submerged and had water in it.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I personally find they last longer with the dial-end kept out of the water and every heater I've had fail was kept fully submerged and had water in it.
Always a dilemma for me. I don't want to see the heater but I believe it is better to keep the dial-end out of the water. Do you hide your heater? How?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I try to hide the heaters with plants/decor where I can.

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
This is what the heater looks like. I took it out of my aquarium while I wait for my other one to arrive. See how the bottom looks burnt as compared to the top part? And I clean it off and it will just come back looking like that if I turn it back on (turn it on in the water of course). Is this normal or is this damage from leaving it on during the water change?

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
Always a dilemma for me. I don't want to see the heater but I believe it is better to keep the dial-end out of the water. Do you hide your heater? How?
I just got the aqueon pro heater and it's all black. With my black background it camouflages itself pretty well.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I just got the aqueon pro heater and it's all black. With my black background it camouflages itself pretty well.
I had one of the black Aqueon Pros on my 75g for a few years. It stopped working. I plugged it in on my workbench. No heat, but I felt a tingle, as it had water in it and a leak on a seam of the black plastic housing. I still had the box and receipt. I emailed Central Garden and Pet and they sent me a brand-new one. While waiting I bought a standard glass Aqueon to replace it. Still running the glass one and have the Pro on a shelf!

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
I had one of the black Aqueon Pros on my 75g for a few years. It stopped working. I plugged it in on my workbench. No heat, but I felt a tingle, as it had water in it and a leak on a seam of the black plastic housing. I still had the box and receipt. I emailed Central Garden and Pet and they sent me a brand-new one. While waiting I bought a standard glass Aqueon to replace it. Still running the glass one and have the Pro on a shelf!
Well that's very encouraging since I just bought the Aqueon Pro last night haha. I've tried three different glass heaters and I've had problems with each of them, so I figured I'd try the pro since it it's supposed to be nearly indestructible. So hopefully I don't run into the same problem you had. I originally ordered another Aquatop glass heater to replace the one I was concerned about in this thread, but when I received it in the mail yesterday it had shards of loose glass on the inside so I didn't want to risk using that one either. So I ran to Petco and picked up the Aqueon Pro because I was sick of going the cheap route haha.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you can, hang onto the box and stuff the receipt into it. Most of the Marineland and Aqueon heaters I've seen have lifetime warranties. All it takes is an email to United Pet Group or Central garden and pet to get the ball rolling for a free replacement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store