Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

LFS in your area

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Needeles, Sep 16, 2006.

1. chub04

chub04 AC Members

Apr 11, 2017
    Shop Name: Fish 4 U
    Address: 4010 Highland Dr #1, Millcreek, UT 84124
    Phone # (801) 274-0113
    Hours:
    M-F 11 am - 8 pm
    Sat. 10 am - 7 pm
    Sun. 11 am - 4 pm
    Only fish store around here that I go to. Very friendly staff who's always willing to help and definitely know their stuff. Smaller store, but good selection for the space they have. Both freshwater and saltwater.

2. Xabbusan

Xabbusan AC Members

Aug 14, 2017
    Shop Name: Aquarium Co-op
    Address: 9661 Firdale Ave Edmonds, WA 98020
    Phone # (206) 533-2281
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJuJfXCKNWu4-VifYixs8A
    Hours:
    Mon-Sat 12 pm - 8 pm
    Sun 12 pm - 8 pm

LFS in the northern Seattle, Washington area. VERY knowledgeable. They LOVE puffers, so if you have questions or want one and live in Washington State.... go here. The owner has a YouTube channel with TONS of information and he also does store tours and fish un-boxing so you can see what the store is like and what they stock.

MyleusAlex1993 likes this.
  3. MardieJane

MardieJane AC Members

Jun 14, 2017
    Camera Used:
    Cannon eos 5d markII
    In doing a search near me the only reference is to West Melbourne aquatics. But it has since closed. There may very well be a nice reef store somewhere, however, all of the privately-owned pet stores in my area are really dirty and most of the time I think the freshwater fish are an after thought. The one specializing in aquariums had algae build up in many of the tanks, the water was not clear, I definitely would not be asking advice on how to maintain a tank. They had a couple of pretty saltwater tanks but for the most part I was put off by the condition of the store overall. Another had visible pest snails in thier tanks and had betta "kits" on special as you walked in the door....you can guess what they were. They looked like mothers day presents in place of flowers or something.
    The Pet Smart on state rd 192 Melbourne Florida was the cleanest place I've seen yet with a young woman named Lori who at least was obviously loving her job. Still, I recognized the benifit of having stumbled across this forum before I looked for fish.
    All of the major pet stores sell dozens on dozens of tanks hardly fit for snails let alone anything else. Not the employees fault but no wonder so many fish end up going home to thier demise.
    On the entirely opposite end of my County, Titusville, I hoped to find a nice shop for freshwater. Same situation. Sadly the Petco in the Target Plaza is the cleanest place to buy fish. Even their betta cups have been spotless with active fish in them the several times I have been there.
    In the middle of our county, Viera Florida, you have a Petco and Pet Smart within a couple of miles of each other. I would probably go with Petco as the older woman in the store understood what I was asking for when I asked for media to replace the filter cartridge (plastic card with carbon) that came with my tank. But the Pet Smart employee seemed too busy to do anything. Maybe someone called in sick and she was alone. Who knows.
    I will continue to look. In the meantime if anyone knows of a shop in Volusia County (the next one below ours along the coast) give a shout. I will be watching this thread to see. Thanks for all the information here. Would have been disastrous for me otherwise.

4. killiphil

killiphil AC Members

Philip J. Eversman DDS
    May 26, 2017
    Philip J. Eversman DDS
    The Reef Aquarium Shop
    5613 N. Keystone Ave.
    Indianapolis, IN 46220
    Ph. 317 253-9695

These folks have a wide selection of reef specimens and supplies, plants, and freshwater fish. They even occasionally have apistogrammas ,freshwater shrimp, and killifish!

5. MyleusAlex1993

MyleusAlex1993 AC Members

Alex Cardinale
    Dec 28, 2018
    Alex Cardinale
    Camera Used:
    Samsung Galaxy
    Sadly, most of the stores on this list are now obsolete and closed. What a shame, I always wanted to go to the Puppy Center but never could. I am from Springfield MA, so it was a long drive. The Puppy Center from what I have heard over the years had great tropical fish including some rarer stuff. It sucks that I couldn't make it out there.
    Emmon's is still open thank god, I am planning on going there soon! :) They always have some interesting, cool, oddball species I can't wait to make a trip there.
    I have heard nothing but the best things about this place. Will have to check it out!

That is good to know! I have always wanted to order fish online and wasn't sure if they were like petco, good to know! Will def order now!

Uncle Ned's is a great store especially for a fancy pleco lover like myself.
    Good fish store!

6. MyleusAlex1993

Alex Cardinale
    Dec 28, 2018
    Alex Cardinale
    Camera Used:
    Samsung Galaxy
    Cory seems like a nice guy! I love his youtube channel would love to visit his shop sometime.

7. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 6:03 AM
    I would base any purchase from any place on more than just someone on an internet forum saying they are good more than a decade ago.

I will attest to them having changed since I started going there in maybe 2003 or so.

If you do choose to order from there, they may be fine... They may not, just be sure to quarantine anything you get there (or anywhere) or put it in a tank by itself, wherever you may order from.

8. MyleusAlex1993

Alex Cardinale
    Dec 28, 2018
    Alex Cardinale
    Camera Used:
    Samsung Galaxy
    That is a good point.

9. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 3:33 AM
    Uncle Ned's is worth an hour's drive! Unusual fish, small fish & pricey but great!! I miss living close! Tropic Isle should also be on that road trip. 30 minutes from Ned.

That Fish Place, well, it's big & equipment is less expensive...but 1 of our worst "fish plagues" came from there...albeit almost 20 years ago...but I remember...quarantine!! (as you should anyway)

I don't know if either are still in business but there was a log cabin looking place near Springfield (used to be somewhere else) & a small main st. Chicopee-ish place...it's been a long time...

There's an annual auction in Chicopee you should check out if you haven't yet. I forget the club's name, but fun! & the NE cichlid club auction just into CT, close for you, near N. Hartford as I recall.

10. MyleusAlex1993

Alex Cardinale
    Dec 28, 2018
    Alex Cardinale
    Camera Used:
    Samsung Galaxy
    Hmmm.... the log cabin sounds like a cool fish shop. I can't recall any stores like that , but maybe it was the Old Dave's Pet City in Agawam. Dave's is still open but move to a new location in Agawam. Now, Dave's is like a chain and has locations in Springfield, Agawam, Ludlow, Ware, and Northhampton.
    Yea,I have attended a few of the PVAS meetings.