List of things aquarists should have on hand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Small, floating, cups... I use the cups my bettas come in. (after a thorough cleaning if course) I use them for things like fish transport, emergency separation, and occasionally for acclimation.

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
An expired credit card or used up gift card for scraping stubborn algae off of the glass, and a Dobie sponge for inner tank maintenance. The Dobie has no additives, and is a rock star at scrubbing heaters, rocks, tubing and all manner of what-have-you safely and gently.

cookymonster760

AC Members
Apr 4, 2011
lol.

Sort of. I'm cheap so I have never once bought a new tank. Got them all, stands included, used. Had to do some repair work every now and again, but tanks are easy to fix. Built quite a few stands with a buddy of mine. Used to get peoples "broken" filters and air pumps and what not and just fixed or mixed and matched till something worked. I think I have bought a couple powerheads a filstar or two new, but that's it. Oh, I bought a pond liner new. Don't get those used.

In fact, I'm going to get my pond filter back up and running for the 500g pond. I won't spend more than $20 at Lowe's for some plumbing and I have a good pump I bought used for $20. Over the winter I'm going to start working with acrylic so I can experiment with making tanks, sumps mostly.

Join a local club. Trading and working deals with members is a great way to get fish for a lot less than lfs and usually are a lot better taken care of. Oh and of course selling fry gets you money back to buy more fishy stuff ;)
yeah most of my tanks i have bought have been used but some way or another you find yourself spending money on new fish, new shrimps, plants,snails etc....

Crispino Ramos

AC Members
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Real Name
Crispino Ramos
I keep my old aquarium supplies that could be used temporarily in case things break.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A couple of spare 5 gal buckets
Battery operated air pump and stone
Long stainless steel skewers for feeding veggies
Back scratcher for playing with the substrate
Variety of bottle brushes for cleaning filter tubing

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
tweezers! if you ever have any visible parisites on a fish, you can put the fish to sleep and pry them off with the tweezers, and its handy for feeding frozen bloodworms. :)

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
how about a python/aqueon water changer?
Totally essential. I couldn't image doing a bucket brigade when I had 40 tanks going. Especially doing daily water changes on fry and grow out tanks.

I like some of the other things people are using. The tongs and back scratcher would be cool for my wife since she can't reach the bottom of the tanks without a stool. I also like the chop sticks for a poken' stick. I usually only use a poken' stick out on the farm when I think something is dead, but guess it would work for a fish tank also.

Back up Generator for large fish rooms
If you keep a really large fish room and live in cold weather, let me suggest a back up generator. It was -4 here one very cold winter and my power went out. My fish room was only partially insulated. It was well heated normally, but it got cold the fastest. By the time I could borrow a generator, it was too late. It got down to 23F in the room. Tank temps dropped to 35F. Luckily, most of my show male were in the 125 in the house. House was down in the low 40's, but I cover the tank with a down comforter so it only got down in the high 60s. Lost $5000 in stock that day. It only took a few hours and I was still at work for the first two with my wife panicking at home.

I lost a $350 breeding group of wild-caught A. stuartgranti bi-colors that were amazing looking. Lost a bunch of F1 Maylandia estherae that had the blue males and red-orange females, a wild-caught group of Lab. "Hongi" and about 200 fry to 1 inchers. About 300 yellow labs all sizes and all the females. A huge group of Lab. "perlmutts." The list goes on and on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store