List of things aquarists should have on hand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
I would like to point something out about using plain old table salt.

Iodine isn't the best for fish, but even if you get the non-iodized, there are still anti-caking agents in cheap table salt like Yellow Prussate of Soda, which can be very harmful through prolonged exposure (to both fish and people!)

A better option is to go to any store that carries bulk foods and get a bag of natural sea salt. It's only a teeny bit more expensive, and way healthier. I use natural sea salt for my own food too, so I always have it on hand if I need some for an aquarium to treat an illness.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The Iodine concentration in standard table salt isn't anything significant...have been using it for 30+ years with no ill effects. Same for anti-caking additives. Got any documentation for the "harmful" effects to aquactic life that show concentration issues and time period?

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
I stopped using it for my own health, so i just don't have it in the house. Back when I was into hermit crabs, EVERYONE on the forum I went to went on and on about never using table salt with iodine or anti-caking agents in it to make up salt water for the crabs. Only use sea salt. I know it can have adverse effects on humans, and probably hermit crabs over time, but I don't think freshwater fish are exposed to enough of it over a long enough period of time to really notice, nor do they live as long as humans or hermit crabs in most cases. Hermit crabs can live upwards of 70 years, and some people on that forum had owned the same crabs since the 70's that had grown from grape sized to tennis ball sized. One person had a crab that was the size of a cantaloupe.

When I first got into aquariums too, I remember lots of people saying not to use table salt, both because of the iodine, and the anti-caking agents. I'd just rather not risk it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
maybe so for yourself, or even your crabs....but for FW fish it definitely isn't an issue.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
MSDS for Sodium Ferrocyanide (Yellow Prussiate of Soda)

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924987

Concerns are also being raised about the use of water softener salt to treat fish. Although it does not contain iodine, this kind of salt often contains anti-caking agents that prevent the salt from sticking and clumping together once it is exposed to humidity. One common anti-caking agent is yellow prussiate of soda (sodium ferrocyanide) When yellow prussiate of soda is exposed to sunlight, it generates hydrogen cyanide, which is considered highly toxic to fish. Having said this, I must add that many hobbyists have used water softener salt containing yellow prussiate of soda without causing ill effect to their fish. Just the same, it would be more prudent to use other forms of salt if they are at all available.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/ponds/Kebus_Salt_Treatments.html

There is more, about it's harmful effect on humans, but I'm not finding any articles and I want to go get breakfast.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
what does water softner salt that doesn't have iodine have to do with the topic? And most tanks are not exposed to sunlight and it is often recommended to keep tanks away from it. That article is for pond fish exposed to massive sunlight and at dosages not used in the home aquaria....it is also referring to parasite treatment such as a short dip....not a low level ich treatment ot steady state level that folks use, even though not needed.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Even iodized salt is fine for freshwater use... regular table salt. I'd always heard that same advice years ago telling us it's bad for the fish. But when you try to find actual research to back up that rumor, there isn't any.

Fyurae

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
Skagit Valley, WA
www.fyurae.com
A couple of spare 5 gal buckets
Battery operated air pump and stone
Long stainless steel skewers for feeding veggies
Back scratcher for playing with the substrate
Variety of bottle brushes for cleaning filter tubing
This is a very good list. I need to get a back scratcher.

I would say chopstick because you don't know when you need something to poke or moke something or anything like that. I use a chopstick for stuff regularly.
Ditto. I use these or bamboo skewers. It's nice because if you drop them they float.

May I add to this, TOWELS. I always find myself standing with a dripping wet arm (I am a hands-in kind of fishkeeper) and no towels at hand. The dog does not like this as it usually means I am dripping water on his head.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Get him a doggie umbrella hat... :)

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
I also keep 20kg of pool salt hidden away because its just salt with nothing else and it was only $6...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store