Little white "wavy" stuff on glass, food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
No offense FISHGUY_CA but i agree more to GobyGuy5
,besides,what does algae or hydra have anything to do with ich,natural sunlight will cause algae to grow,same as aquarium light,not sure about bacteria colonies since they thrive on ammonia which is converted to nitrites which is converted to nitrates which is taken in by plants,i hope i'm right,this is on algae,not pirahnas.:)

Last edited:

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
fishguy...... i really don't know exactly what to say other than you need to slow down a bit. alot of what i'm reading on this and at least one other post is dubious at best, and bad at worst.

Xclaw

AC Members
Oct 20, 2002
BC, Canada
Well i'm goin to seriously watch the feeding and cut back on lighting a bit and see if that helps. My newly aquired twig fish is goin to town "motoring" across the glass like it's the end of the world. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I think I'll let nature take it's course for a couple days and see what happens. Thankyou for the input and no there are NO Pirahnas in this 10 gallon it is strictly a test tank that I tested out my sand as a substratre in and have moved my corys into. :) Now they have a twig fish as a new companion if he/she acclimates well.

Thanks for your time.

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
Anyways, is this white alagae bad. I have a pl*co now, so if 1 is not enough for a 55 I'll just get alagae removal products. If it's not a big problem, I'll let nature takes its course. What do you guys think...let the otto do his job or physically/chemically remove it?

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
dodge: harmless, i get it my tanks with no algae eaters constantly, then i found otos. ;) my farlowellas seem to do a good job also, north haven and hamden petco had some of those in stock if you want to see a sort of weird looking fish.

the pleco *should* handle it, some are better than others tho. i'm pretty sure my common downstairs eats it too tho.

edit: skip the chemicals at all costs, i have heard rumors of some of them doing damage to fish. a small magnet cleaner will fix the problem week to week or so if you need to.

Last edited:
T

TnCgal

Please contact me

I have taken the liberty of editing and deleting part of this thread in order to keep it informative while eliminating the flames and derogatory comments.

FISHGUY,

Please drop me an e-mail if you wouldn't mind. I am at cindywindy100@msn.com . I would like to have a word with you.

Thank you.
Cindy

wetmanNY

AC Members
I don't understand the concept of "white algae." Since algae photosynthesize they are all green. Even the so-called red algae (Rhosophyta produce chlorophylls-- and some other photosynthetic pigments.

If they're truly white, they just can't be living algae. If they're tiny, at the edge of visibility, stuck to the glass panes and waving minute threadlike tentacles, that sounds pretty much like Hydra.

Try a www.google.com search for "Hydra " or check at www.thekrib.com ...or at the www.skepticalaquarist.com "Invertebrates" folder.

Hydra are harmless mini-predators. They might hurt newly-hatched fish fry of the smallest sizes. but nothing larger.

Xclaw

AC Members
Oct 20, 2002
BC, Canada
Thankyou all for the info I've come to the conclusion it's hydra and have taken the appropriate measures.

Thanks again for the help.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
wetman: i'll get you a pic if i can...... more likely it is a surface kind of algae and the amount is so minute you can't tell the color, so it looks white. i have seen it personally and it is some sort of growth and otos eat it, so it should be algae...... the only life or movement it has is by current running across it.

setup a 10g with a couple fish like convicts in it, overfeed it a bit then wait........... you will see exactly what i am talking about, whatever it actually is.

FISHGUY_CA

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Wiinipeg, MB Canada
Visit site
Re: You have been contacted

Originally posted by TnCgal
I have taken the liberty of editing and deleting part of this thread in order to keep it informative while eliminating the flames and derogatory comments.

FISHGUY,

Please drop me an e-mail if you wouldn't mind. I am at cindywindy100@msn.com . I would like to have a word with you.

Thank you.
Cindy
Dear Cindy,
I have sent you an e-mail and hope you get it because my computer is a fine piece of work it is and likes to not send e-mails. Hope to hear from you soon, take it easy and keep up the good work dealing with people like me :p Talk to you soon, bye for now ....
With Best Regards,
FISHGUY_CA
"IF IT AIN SCO'ISH, EEEET'S CRAAAAP" - Mike Myers
:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store