Mafia 96 Who Are You? Game Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i was with you there, for a second, lab, but kash makes a good point about ice and the vote switching. he was also the first one to question me which put him under the radar for me. i see how these games usually go. like animals in the wild. the scum team usually picks out the weak sheep and removes them first. being the new guy puts me automatically in the running by default after the first couple night falls if not earlier. unfortunately with the better players, these actions have become second nature in the game so it makes it a little tougher if say a jp jumps in asking the same question a couple posts later. even harder when you start getting the push from 4 or 5 players.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
yes!!! not only do i get to keep playing, but we got their hitman!!!! yes!!! but seriously UD's make me mad. put in a vote the day befor eif you think you might not be here. itd be better than udiing especially if your a townie. if your scum dont bother putting in a vote, just UD to help us out ;) also i dont expect anyone to forget me just bc UN turned out scum, but hopefully i can do better now. id like to see what chill has to say avout the wanting to spread out the votes and then wanting to tie it up.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Well, for example....... Lab, what do you think about the fact that Ice suggested we spread our votes around so we might actually learn something about each other tonight. Then he pushed the vote switching around as hard as he did? Don't you think it kinda defeated the whole point he made in the first place?

And the end result leaves us where, exactly?... with Ice looking good for making the suggestion in the first place, but managing to leave us with little to go on.
I also was in favor of having the votes spread out. Near nightfall, when UN pulled his shenanigans, I was actually thinking of a 3 way tie (AAF, Zaffy, and UN). Dag was reading my mind and switched to UN right before I made the move. Then voting chaos ensued and we ended up with everyone on 2 candidates with a tie. I pushed for the tie probably about as much as Ice did and I will own my actions. Things changed before nightfall which consolidated the votes, that's what happens in these games when people do scummy things to draw votes to themselves.

The end result leaves us with one less scum, and a PR scum at that. Do you have a problem with that result?

i was with you there, for a second, lab, but kash makes a good point about ice and the vote switching. he was also the first one to question me which put him under the radar for me. i see how these games usually go. like animals in the wild. the scum team usually picks out the weak sheep and removes them first. being the new guy puts me automatically in the running by default after the first couple night falls if not earlier. unfortunately with the better players, these actions have become second nature in the game so it makes it a little tougher if say a jp jumps in asking the same question a couple posts later. even harder when you start getting the push from 4 or 5 players.
The thing is, this game is different since the scum team wasn't communicating from the start and is likely working on building their team. Worst case scenario after this past nightfall is that 3 scum are communicating. Only two could have communicated prior to nightfall in worst case scenario and I wouldn't expect them to do too much to draw attention to themselves by manipulating the vote. So your push from 4-5 players doesn't hold for them working together as communicating scum.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
So your push from 4-5 players doesn't hold for them working together as communicating scum.
and that's what makes it tough.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Holy crap...what just happened? Whatever the case I'm sure glad UN is gone.

I have to agree that I'm not sure what exactly will be gained from looking at all the vote switches. It looked like a mess, half the people were asking what the vote count was (with some being incorrect) and no one knew when Wiz was going to call night. I'm honestly not even sure I would be able to make sense of it all. Not saying it should be ignored but I doubt that much will be able to be made from it all...

I also will agree that AAF is likely not the Don, but still has a pretty good chance, both based on statistics and by his actions, of being scum.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i'm interested...

what statistics, pap?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
By my count we still have more scum than innocents. Last night was even and on N1 we lost 2 townies to 1 scum.

Going off that by sheer chance any random person has a better chance of being scum than not. That's what I meant.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I also was in favor of having the votes spread out. Near nightfall, when UN pulled his shenanigans, I was actually thinking of a 3 way tie (AAF, Zaffy, and UN). Dag was reading my mind and switched to UN right before I made the move. Then voting chaos ensued and we ended up with everyone on 2 candidates with a tie. I pushed for the tie probably about as much as Ice did and I will own my actions. Things changed before nightfall which consolidated the votes, that's what happens in these games when people do scummy things to draw votes to themselves.

The end result leaves us with one less scum, and a PR scum at that. Do you have a problem with that result?

The thing is, this game is different since the scum team wasn't communicating from the start and is likely working on building their team. Worst case scenario after this past nightfall is that 3 scum are communicating. Only two could have communicated prior to nightfall in worst case scenario and I wouldn't expect them to do too much to draw attention to themselves by manipulating the vote. So your push from 4-5 players doesn't hold for them working together as communicating scum.
Not keen on multi-color coding right now, so I'll extract parts from above.

1. "I also was in favor of having the votes spread out." Yes you were, which is why I asked you to comment about Ice doing the same thing. Wanted to see what kind of answer I would get from you or if you'd dodge it.

So basically...... Ice gets a pass on contradicting himself just because you did it too. And that being a fairly reasonable scum-tell is excusable (this time) because... um, because you had... a good reason. Sure.

So tell me, your original vote was on Chill. Any comment from you about the way he showed up toward the end, asked where to vote to reestablish a tie, then decided to follow the instruction he was given? What do you think about Chill as a result of that?

2. "Near nightfall, when UN pulled his shenanigans, I was actually thinking of a 3 way tie (AAF, Zaffy, and UN)." Okay. Would you mind telling me why having a 2- or 3-way tie was such a good idea for the town?

That's the part I didn't understand from the start. Before nightfall, we had one don and one mayor, each holding only one invest result. They both had (almost) a 50-50 chance of finding an enemy to kill later on or finding a teammate they could chat with.

Wouldn't forcing the scum to "save" a scummate also be just as likely to force a communicating innocent (or even the mayor themself) to "save" their teammate? The strategy behind these ties escapes me. The same pressure applied to the scum side could as easily have back-fired against the town side, particularly since no one (almost no one, that is) would've known the outcome ahead of time.

Why was having a tie at all so dang important? Especially after it had been discussed already and agreed upon too that the opposite strategy was better for the town.

3. "I pushed for the tie probably about as much as Ice did and I will own my actions." Happy to hear that. Thank you.

4. "The end result leaves us with one less scum, and a PR scum at that. Do you have a problem with that result?" Of course not. (Stupid question.... and a twisty one too I noticed.) Pssst, remember where I voted? lmao.

What I do have a problem with are good players who consistently offer the town bad advice.

5. "Only two could have communicated prior to nightfall in worst case scenario and I wouldn't expect them to do too much to draw attention to themselves by manipulating the vote." Bingo! There it is.

Let me ask this, yet again:

Labby, if you wouldn't expect them to do too much to draw attention to themselves by manipulating the vote......... why the hell did you work so hard to force ties for the lynch????

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Wish I could stay up all night reading up in the thread. I just can't... I'll try to get up early and spend an hour or so catching up more before work.

rich311k

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich
I am very glad we got a scum, all that chaos actually worked out. If this where a normal format we would have several suspects right now. Since I think no one would have investigated UN first, it is most likely only he knew his role in this game. Finding scum needs a different kind of read this game. I am going to reread all of that this morning and see what is to be seen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store