mail-order aquarium heaters.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm in the process of getting the hardware ready to setup my new 55g. I found what looked like a good deal on heaters on eBay, after checking out a bunch of listings I ordered a 200W heater for the 55. It was under $10 shipped to the door.

Problem is, only after sending payment did I discover in the write-up, the unit runs on 220V.:eek: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-200W-3...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item231c30c9fd

The two prong plug looks normal on it, but down in the write-up, it clearly states 220V. I am truly gifted. :angryfire:

I did write the seller right away, but of course the unit shipped almost immediately. Later in the day, the seller did respond in acceptible Chinglish, stating I can send it back if I don't like it (totally didn't answer my question if it's 120 or 220V). My bad! Probably not going to spend $5 to mail back a $10 heater.

If it looks to good to be true, it probably is! After all, $20 for an off-the-shelf, pet store heater doesn't break the bank. Ugh...

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
It states 220v in the auction so I think you're out of luck. On a side note I do not think I'd trust a cheap filter like that. Look on Amazon, I just picked up a 300w for my 125g for $20. Read the reviews so you know you're getting a good one.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I agree with Mudfrog. Heaters are the 1 item you do not want to skimp on for your tank. Get the smallest wattage made for your tank. That way, if the heater gets stuck in the "on" position, it won't fry your inhabitants. Good luck.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yep heaters are a bad area to be cheap, if it dies and your lucky it'll just stop working, or it could get stuck on and cook your fish, or worse explode and kill and contaminiate everything. Like Vanilla pointed out go for the one rated like 29g-55g over the 55g-75g or whatever.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Appropriate heater should range from 3-5 watts per gallon.If you need 200 watts, run 2-100watt heaters. You can limp along on one heater for a day or two until you get a replacement.

Heaters also have a set length based on wattage. The higher the watts, the longer the length. For a 55 that won't be a problem. Opt for submersible so you can put them lower in the tank and do water-changes without frying them.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks all for the info. I should have known better! Was kind of on a mail-ordering spree, having ordered the Sunsun 302 canister, a small internal filter and a 48", twin tube T5 light basically at the same time for the 55g.

It doesn't make sense to scrimp on the heater. I kind of like the idea of an inline-heater for the canister, but they're like $40-50. I also considered two 100W's. Dunno.

Still have to get a pair of 24" versa-tops or reasonable facsimile thereof!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Got the heater in the mail today. Indeed it requires 220VAC. Funny thing is, it's got a standard 2-prong power plug that could be plugged into any standard 120V receptacle. The only difference being the prongs don't have holes in them like you'd see for 120VAC stuff in the US.

I'll see how much it costs to mail it back for a refund. :( No more Chinese mail-order aquarium heaters for me.

oreo57

AC Members
Apr 14, 2013
Running simple heaters rated for 220v on 110 is possible.. from the sellers website
"note:If you use 110V the output power of the heater maybe can't reach the nominal power."

Technically your 200w heater will be a 50w heater..AFAIKT
Just an FYI..
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_ru...n_110v_circuit

but as most have said (I've been researching heaters lately) it is not an area to skimp in.. seems even top rated brands are having some problems , here and there.. sooo I guess a bit of caution is called for.
A lot of "direct from China" products on the market at (in a retail sense) bare bottom prices.. Personally most don't seem better or worse than "branded" products also made in China (arguable of course.. ;))
and "may" just come out of the same factories..

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, I haven't even plugged in the Chinese eBay special. I wound-up going with a 200W Aqueon brand heater I picked up at Petsmart. It was $29 and I have a $5 off mail-in rebate for it.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
'Good tools aren't cheap and cheap tools aren't good'.

In the interest of redundancy, I have two heaters and each has sufficient wattage to maintain the tank at room temperature. I'm less concerned about a heater sticking on as one simply failing to work. With the two heaters dialed in, they typically share the load and if the room temperature was to drop (winter) they can both kick in to maintain the temperature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store