Male Molly Chasing the same Female

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Carolmarie

Registered Member
Oct 12, 2015
Hi there,
I have a 17 Gallon with 1 silver molly male, 1 silver molly female, 1 black molly male and 1 gold dust female. I also have 2 Guppies. I've heard it's wise to have more female mollies as to males but my problem is my male silver is only chasing the silver female. He has never looked twice at the gold dust. My black male also has never showed any interest in either females. I've heard any male can breed with any female molly, just wondering has anyone else encountered this problem? I was hoping not to stock my tank with solely silver mollies. I've had the silver male and female for about 3 weeks and the gold dust and black mollies for about 2 weeks. Today I noticed the silver female was hiding from the silver male so I'm worried for her.

Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
get rid of the other male..get another 3-4 females...

Carolmarie

Registered Member
Oct 12, 2015
Get rid of the silver? I got him in a petstore just not sure if they'll want to take him back...

I'm also wondering will the black male ever breed if he's showing no interest in the females?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
tell them you want to trade in and get a total of three females...

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If the pet store is not a chain (like PetSmart or PetCo) then they will likely take the male back for you. Chances are that male is the dominant one in the group and that's why the black hasn't gone for the female yet. However, having an overly assertive male is not really a good thing. Overly assertive males or ones that are overly excited about spawning can stress or injure females. It would be best to get down to only one male for this reason.
Also, yes color means nothing and the fish can spawn with all colors of mollies just as well as a yellow lab can breed with a black or brown lab in dogs.

Reactions: Carolmarie

Carolmarie

Registered Member
Oct 12, 2015
OK thank you very much for the help that is great information I will bring the silver male back and hopefully that will sort the problem.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
you will still most likely need to add more females...and make plans for all the fry.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store