Marbled crayfish (self cloning) Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
Hey! So I haven't been very successful in breeding my marbled crayfish because every time they berry up they eat their eggs. This time when one of them dropped their eggs I collected some of them and put them in a glass dish with some clean water. The eggs that were left in the tank are now covered with algae or something else that is fuzzy looking and they turned red. The ones that I saved in the glass dish are still black and look normal. Anyone on here have any success in breeding these crays? Do the egg's appearence change at all before they hatch? How long does it take for them to hatch? Do you think it's possible that the ones I'm keeping in a dish could still hatch? She had the eggs attached to her for almost 2 weeks. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks =]

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
The one's in the tank sound like they are just decaying. I don't think your going to find much, because these are 'new' and still being researched. Plus, since these are the crayfish of self-cloning, I doubt many people in the hobby have had to go to trying to hatch themselves, as most people can't get them to stop reproducing.

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
The one's in the tank sound like they are just decaying. I don't think your going to find much, because these are 'new' and still being researched. Plus, since these are the crayfish of self-cloning, I doubt many people in the hobby have had to go to trying to hatch themselves, as most people can't get them to stop reproducing.
Yeah good point.. Lol. Wish mine were like other peoples..

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
You would think that there would be a little more info out there though because they are crayfish. The only difference between them and a normal crayfish is that they fertilize their own eggs and maybe their behavior/diet. I guess nobody ever tries to save the eggs if they ever drop them and just let them do their thing. I probably shouldn't have taken any out of there doesn't seem like it did anything. A few of the ones that I kept are now turning red and split open. I think they need to be suspended and also I think that the mom crayfish needs to fan them to keep them healthy.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
Hey my first three never produced. Then I bought some more. One came in with young already on her. Now I have a lot in different stages of growth. If I was able to ship, I would send you some :)

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
Hey my first three never produced. Then I bought some more. One came in with young already on her. Now I have a lot in different stages of growth. If I was able to ship, I would send you some :)
That would be awesome! =] I just want one that will actually have babies.. Do you have a lot of them??

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
what are you feeding them? it's worth a shot trying to feed them more nutritious foods. mine went nuts on my live plants (lack of research) and a couple started carrying fto ull term

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
I always have a piece of cucumber in the tank for them to eat and i occasionally give them some bloodworms. They don't really seem as interested in the bloodworms as they were when they were still growing so they only get them about once a week.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I gave them algae wafers also. I think most have fish meal and protein stuff in them. but they cleared my tank of all plant life. It was kind of fun seeing my big cloud of java moss shrink daily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store