Massive crystal red die-off :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenratico

Jen
Apr 8, 2008
Denver, CO
Keeping my fingers crossed for a baby boom for you - well, for your shrimp anyway. I keep thinking my cherries been eated only to find them under rocks. You must be completely flumoxed as to what happened. Best wishes on rebuilding the stock.

southerndesert

Invert Obsessed
May 4, 2008
Arizona
www.arizonainverts.com
Wow.... Sorry to hear about such a tragic loss....Been there too.

The worst thing in keeping inverts is the "unexplained death" and not being able to figure out the problem is very frustrating. There is however a cause and I also think perhaps something got into the uncovered tank. There was a post on another forum sometime back about a person having a large spider drown in his tank while trying to get a drink, a slow die off resulted. I also think a cover would be a good idea as there are many things floating in the air in our homes that just may not be good for our shrimps.

Good luck and I hope you get it figured out....

Bill

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Yea i need to get glass cut for 5 of my tanks, its been on the to-do list for some time, just lacks priority with all the running around for my 3 kids. I put a temporary cover on all the shrimp tanks for now. New babies found in the tank, all hope is not lost :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hope you are back on the road to recovery!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Awww! Really sorry to read this!! You would think that even if a bug did fall into the tank and release some bug toxin that it would affect all of them. But glad you covered the tanks Jinx. I have very little space open on my sids tank (I don't want to find out the hard way that they jump thru small openings), but those dang stinkbugs get in there anyway once in a while. I panic when I see one of those things floating in the tank. They STINK! And I sooooooooooo hope they don't let a stink bomb go into the tank water before they die. P A N I C!!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Wow, Sorry to hear about this Jinkzie! Knowing that you have more invert knowledge than most of us, and hearing about an incident like this just proves that this sort of thing is apparently un avoidable, can happen to anyone, and most likely is at no fault of your own. I wish I had some crystal reds I could send to you, but all I have is Cherry reds...

What is weird is that they all didn't die... if there was a contaminant, then why were there any survivors?

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Grrrr, I hate it when these things happen to my shrimp guru! I hope you get it figured out so you never get a repeat. A pile of crystals! argh!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Well, I found a wasp/hornet in the tank the next day in pieces. I am doubtful this caused it, but who knows.

The remaining shrimp are doing well, and I have spotted at least 8 new babies (itty bitty) in the tank since so I assume its all honky dorey now. Live and learn!

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Well, I found a wasp/hornet in the tank the next day in pieces. I am doubtful this caused it, but who knows.
Maybe the reason for the insect being in the tank should be examined... (Raid?)

Glad to hear things are going again.

jbowzer7

AC Members
Apr 5, 2008
Red Wing, MN
I know that crystal reds are much harder to keep than other shrimp, and the higher grade seems like the harder they are to raise. I think that the wasp/hornet in the tank is more than likely the cause. The venom in there sting just might have been enough to affect some of the shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store