MONSTER BN PLECO FOOT LONG

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Just did a quick finger measurement, and the pleco is 4 1/2 airstones long, from nose to beginning of tail. Judging by the size of the tubing, the airstone can't be longer than an inch.

My money is on no more than 5", from nose to beginning of tail (proper measurement).

WRONG, again. You draw conclusions too quick, you have to hear both sides of the story before you can make a decision. See my post above for explanation.
Both sides? Who else's side is there? Who else is telling the story? This is your fish story. If you leave out information, opinions are going to be formed based on the information you've provided.

For future reference though, you may feel safe trusting your LFS quarantine process, but a proper QT is done at home, where you are actually able to keep an eye on your new fish through the QT period. It's pretty much the entire point of QTing. You're just rolling the dice when you trust a pet stores sales pitch about not needing to quarantine their fish. It's a hell of a selling point for a LFS to say "no QT needed", vs a LFS that's actually honest and tells you that you should spend even more money on a separate tank setup that will only ever be used a few times, that looks plain and boring, and you don't even get to put the fish in your main tank for a month.

Don't get me wrong, I still stupidly plop fish right into my main tanks from LFS I trust, but I admit to myself that there is fair level of risk involved due to not QTing myself to be safe. What's really fun, is going back to the LFS a week later, only to see one of the independently filtered tanks you bought a fish from with it's lights out, and a sign saying "fish in this tank not for sale." Standard LFS procedure/lingo for "we're treating for some kind of disease."

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
using the glass as 1/2" and just counting it down I got 4" and some... the Photoshop idea is great I just dont know how to do it lol

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
you say this pleco is in quarantine, and then you say it is in your 100 gallon community tank. plopping a fish straight into your main tank is NOT quarantining. i was merely calling you out on two totally different things you said.

a 2 week quarantine at the store is not a true quarantine. those tanks have so many fish go through them, and some parasites do not show their ugly selves within a 2 week time frame. as well, i'm sure your new bn pleco was not the only fish in the tank for the month he was there.
Lol, everything you said in the second paragraph doesn't matter because he wasn't quarantined for 2 weeks. He was quarantined for almost 2 months, that's long enough. Most people only quarantine for a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Lol, everything you said in the second paragraph doesn't matter because he wasn't quarantined for 2 weeks. He was quarantined for almost 2 months, that's long enough. Most people only quarantine for a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
If they kept it quarantined in the back for 2 weeks, then brought it out and put it in their main sales tanks, it was no longer quarantined at that point. Time isn't the only factor involved in quarantine. Without strict Isolation, it's not a quarantine.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
First, thanks for bein' a good sport Mr. Bigglesworth.

Methodology, used a bar for each color the width of the pane of glass makin' up the side ('twas easier than tryin' to fill in each bar individually). Alternately duplicated each bar, rotated it app. 90° until they were parallel with the edge of the side pane, and stacked 'em end on end parallel to the fish. Comes out to 8 1/2 bars, or 4 1/4".

Now, I didn't account for the distance the fish is from the front edge of the tank, which is a bit more than a 1/2" when ya take in the thickness of the front glass, so ya can add a little length there. There is no significant forced perspective makin' the fish's head look way larger and outta proportion to the tail, so the fish is roughly parallel to the front glass. Not quite, though, so ya can add a little length there as well. I don't feel like tryin' to estimate the angle of the fish nor calculatin' how much I shoulda reduced the bars to account for the 1/2" thickness of the front glass, but it's gonna be marginal. Probly less than 1/2" combined. So this fish is in the 4"-5" range. Nice-sized male BN.

This isn't an exact measurement, but that wasn't what anybody was lookin' for. It IS a fairly reliable estimate based on a known dimension in the picture.

Now, I'm not tryin' to discredit anybody or ruffle anybody's feathers, estimatin' the size of fish can be difficult, even for experienced hobbyists. Add a bit of adrenaline from the thrill of discovery, and exaggeration can run rampant. I find this thread interestin' because of an experience of my own this week. Came across four Pseudotropheus sp. "elongatus chailosi". Always lookin' for new Africans for my collection, so I snapped 'em up. Estimated they were 'bout 3" each in the bare tank at the store. Got 'em in the bag, and that became 2 1/2". By the time they ended up in my 20L QT tank and my excitement died down, they were about 1 1/2" each. :) Add to the picture that we aren't familiar with the dimensions of items (if any) in a shopkeeper's tank and the natural differences people have in estimatin' size, and I just can't bring myself to give Mr. Bigglesworth too harda time. But I will chuckle a bit.

WYite

P.S. Not sure how I ended up with two copies of the pic, but can't seem to get rid of one of 'em now. My apologies...

bn1-310.jpg bn1-3.jpg

Last edited:

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
^ That's to the end of the tail as well. Subtract an inch for a length measured by standard practice, lol

And yes, thank you for being a good sport Mr. Big.

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
It's like snakes, whether captive or "rogues" in someone's back yard, they always shrink once the measuring device is whipped out. Whatever the case a good find is a good find.. - N

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store