moss balls?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
If you roll it in a big enough ball you might could use it to wash your car with ;)

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
it photosynthesizes to get energy to grow. aside from what it literally does, it is an aquarium decoration. if simply being a decoration means it has "no actual point", then yes. it has no actual point. it won't start spawning fish. it won't cure ich. it won't kill snails. it won't really feed your fish. it won't wash your car.
Was meant as a joke from your reply above

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Um, from what I remember, Marimo balls are moss, not algae, usually like java, that originated in Japanese ponds, moving slowly back and forth to form oval or ball forms in different sizes. Therefore, you could conceivably make your own, which alot of people do now and charge as much as for the real deal.

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
No you've got MY attention. What is the formal name?
They're called Marimo Moss Balls or Japanese Moss Balls or some combination of those words (japanese marimo moss balls even)
But the name of the algae itself is a cladophora algae. the full name i can't remember off the top of my head but you should be able to find info on cladophora.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store