Most aggressive cichlid.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
quick question... when you "expert hobbiests" give advice is it coming from the text books, personal experience, or what YOU think is right?
My old friend :) I would have to say a combo of all w/ the addition of the experiences of others far more knowledgable than myself. That does not make me an expert ( although I do know several). It does make me a dedicated & responsible hobbiest. Studying in school is great, my hats off to you, but a lot of lifes lessons & a wealth of knowledge lie outside the classroom. Get all you can from your professors & use it to aid you in researching & making educated, informed decisions. Most of all please remember to share the knowledge w/ your fellow hobbiest.

actually I was wrong the fish is a hemichromis frempongi, now this is the real mean one.
Actually listed as slightly smaller (15cm) to H. fasciatus (20cm) & only moderately aggressive to aggressive depending on the fish. Same family, same water chem, same diet, out of central Ghana. Still more than a handful given your present situation. As before, aside from the facts, this is JMHO. Good Luck

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Ok, want my oppinion? A mated pair of cons, pound for pound, are the most aggressive. There! Now I may have started this thread off on a bad note, but when someone tells a noobie that 3 JDs in a 29 gallon tank is ok, after 3 or 4 people told them not to do it, Im not going to be too nice to them.

When I give advice related to the above mentioned situation, I use none of the 3 methods managuay inquired about. Here's what I do, hmmm, agressive territorial cichlid, can get about 10 inches, tank size is 12" front to back. Nope can't even do one let alone 3 in that tank. I never claimed to be an expert, but that is just common friggin sense! People who abuse dogs, cats, even reptiles in this manner are faced with fines and even time in jail!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I am currently getting a master's degree in ichthyology. i have a background in fish physiology, behavior, and ecomorphology (including locomotion). while i do sometimes go on spiels from my research and reading, a lot of practical aquarium-keeping stuff i get from personal experience.

true, what my prof's teach me is sometimes not relevant to small systems (sometimes even outdated or wrong!), but it brings another point of view. i try to go from both.

in the end, there are tons of people on this forum who do not have advanced degrees, but know from decades of experience. they have as much valuable information as an academic would, if not more, because they can tell you what will work and what won't.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
managuay86 said:
quick question... when you "expert hobbiests" give advice is it coming from the text books, personal experience, or what YOU think is right? Has anyone actually went to school or is going to school to actually study fish and fish behavior.
This is coming from the guy who put a damsel in his FW tank... http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78904

Or should I be commending you for your "scientific" endeavor?

Last edited:

johaniimaster27

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
why dont we all get back to the subject here which was what fish is the most aggressive?

to me the N.beani would be the most aggressive

johaniimaster27

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
nvm wrong thread

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
plah831 said:
This is coming from the guy who put a damsel in his FW tank... http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78904

Or should I be commending you for your "scientific" endeavor?
if you would have taken the time to read my other thread you would kno that my tank is brackish borderline saltwater but eh....if you say freshwater whatever..... :rolleyes:

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
if you would have taken the time to read my other thread you would kno that my tank is brackish borderline saltwater but eh....if you say freshwater whatever.....

There's just one problem w/ that ---- You Don't Have Any "Brackish Borderline Saltwater" Fish!!!! I'm sure your college professors aren't teaching you ANIMAL CRUELTY! Just because the visible signs aren't evident to you dosen't mean the fish aren't suffering!! I don't know what's to be gained by such an insane stunt but torturing innocent creatues for fun or sport is wrong --- DEAD WRONG

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
;) Noooooo not me. Your choice of diet is --- well your choice. Myself, I guess I'm a meat & potatoes kinda guy. (BTW best of luck w/ your studies) Hopefully you will continue to share knowledge & attempt to enlighten the uninformed who genuinely wish to learn. As for 'OUR' friend who is also in an institution of learning, I just don't understand this reckless disregard for the lives of innocent animals in ones care. To optimize the captive environment should be the goal, I would think. Maybe I'm missing the point(I've done that before) so I'll stop. But you keep doing you cause 'WE' need more scholars. Good Luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store